Pyrochatechin vs Pyrogallol Comparisons
My scratch mix tanning developers have all been based on pyrogallol. This has been very limited to some P-TEA, 110 and 550 Pyro, Koch's experiments and a few things of my own. I only recently added catechol to my chem shelf.
Some experiences awhile back with diXactol and WD2D+ (which I believe are catechol based) seemed to be more compatible with my general use of VC papers. How interchangeable are these two developing agents? What are their general energy/tanning levels in relation to each other? I've come to enjoy the ease of use of glycol and TEA based concentrates. Are there issues related to these compatabilities that I should be aware of with the catechol? I've got some things working quite well but think I would like the less-green tones that the catechol based concoctions seem to produce.
Last edited by craigclu; 05-07-2005 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
Pyrocat is a very inexpendive, very easy to use developer. I highly recommend ot to anyone...particulary thos poor souls using Rodinal.
Pyrocat is a very inexpensive, very easy to use developer. I highly recommend it to anyone...particulary those poor souls using Rodinal.
Pyrocat HD is a very inexpensive, very easy to use developer. I highly recommend it to anyone...particulary those poor souls still using Rodinal.
Pyrogallol, Pyrocatechol (Catechol) and Hydroquinone are very closely related Benzine Ring compounds. All three reagents are potentially capable of producing proportional image tanning and stain. All three are additive or superadditive with Metol, Phenidone and Ascorbic Acid. The stain color produced is different with each of the three reagents. The effect of the stain is determined by the film type and the printing process used. It is difficult to judge what the effects will be by the visual appearance of the developed film
Originally Posted by craigclu
In terms of activity:
Pyrogallol is the most active (arbitrary scale 100%).
Pyrocatechol is the next most active (relative scale 70% Pyrogallol).
Hydroquinone is the least active of the three (relative scale 50% Pyrogallol).
I personally favor the Pyrocatechol based developers.
Everything is analog - even digital :D
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
I just began developing again with WD2D+ and found the stain to be a bit greenish. Then when I began printing with my Ilford VC filters, I found that the stain was significantly affecting the ability of the VC paper (Kodak Polymax) to build contrast. And the high values were fairly well blocked, not something I'm accustomed to with Pyro. I was always under the impression that Wimbery's developer was Pyrogallol based. Anyway, my solution will simply be to go back to using graded papers. There was another very technical thread, about a year ago, dealing with the issue of stain and VC papers. The net result, it seemed to me, was that it was best to just avoid VC paper with Pyro.
"There was another very technical thread, about a year ago, dealing with the issue of stain and VC papers. The net result, it seemed to me, was that it was best to just avoid VC paper with Pyro."
When I started using PMK, I used it with vc papers. I, too, found that the highlite seemed veiled or soft. I started developing the film longer in PMK and those issues went away. Then this year I switched to Pyrocat HD and use it with graded paper and Varible Contrast papers alike without any of the problems associated with PMK. I am sold on this developer to be used with vc paper. I have no experience with WD2D+.
To prepare a staining developer with a small modification from Sandy King's Pyrocat-HD formulae, I use hidroquinone instead of catechol which is hard to find in my country.
The result is almost indistinguishable from the original mixture.
Here is the formulae I use:
Distilled water 400cc
Sodium bisulfite 5g
Potassium bromide 1g
Water to make 500cc
Distilled water 1000cc
Sodium carbonate anhydre 200g
To use with FP-4 4"X5" rated 64EI, and developed with a JOBO CPP-2 at the slowest speed, a starting point would be 8min at 22oC, for a diffusion enlarger head.
The mixture for this setup is 10ccA+50ccB+750cc water for N development.
My opinion is that is a combination worth to give a try.
I omitted in my post to mention that the given formulae is best suited to varicontrast papers then the pyrogallol based formulaes. For more contrasty highlights, that I prefer in my works, the brown color stain of the hidroquinon is better then the green-yellow stain of pyrogallol. This color of pyrogallol retains the magenta filter to soften the highlights where there is more stain and more green-yellow in the negative.
That does not agree with my experience, Jay. In my experience, developers containing a combination of catechol and phenidone or catechol, phenidone and ascorbic acid work fine with a dilute solution of either TEA, Sodium Carbonate or Potassium Carbonate as the accelerator.
Originally Posted by jdef
By the way, a dilute solution of Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide is not stable and will combine with the Carbon Dioxide in air to become Carbonate.
Everything is analog - even digital :D