Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,808   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Freestyle EDU 35mm film

Yesterday I noticed the the 35mm EDU film (Hungary) was not on the Freestyle website catalog. Now there is 35mm EDU Ultra 100,200,400 (Czech Republic) and Arista II ( Germany).
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    yup. No more EDU. Ifs a different film now, who knows if its better or worst. We will just have to see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The new EDU will be the Fomapan films. The normal Arista films look to be Agfa. I'm a big fan of Fomapan, and am happy that another supplier will be carrying them. (And they'll have the Fomapan 200 in sheet film sizes soon...this is truly good news for me!)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jay-

I'm a real fan of the Foma 200...it's very different from the Forte 100 and the Foma 100. It's not the best candidate for stand development (it fogs easily), but with normal agitation it gives me a look that I really like. Reminiscent of old thick emulsions films (without the halo effect those films tended to show). Given the price I'd think a roll or two would be worth experimenting with if you like that kind of look.

Be well.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have anything online shot with Fomapan, but I'll try to scan something soon. I shoot it at 160 and develop with Pyrocat-HD 2:2:100; I always had to shoot Fortepan 200 at 100 to get the same shadow densities.

I'm getting a little stir-crazy waiting for the Fomapan 200 to be available in sheet film. I've shot J&C 100 and Efke 100 almost exclusively in sheet film for the last nine months, and I've really wanted to try Fomapan 200 in sheets. Up until now I've only been able to find it in metric sizes, not inch sizes. (I did note that FreeStyle's not carrying it in sheet sizes in their "Arista" line; I'll have to pay the higher Foma price for the sheet film. Soemthing tells me that I won't mind that too much.)

I should have mentioned that it's a little tougher to clear the dye layer from the Foma 200 than from the Forte films, but it's not horrible. And the roll film's packaged much better than the J&C 100. The film base is a little thicker than Ilford films, which makes it easier for me to load onto reels. (Some people like the thinner bases for loading; I favor the heavier bases.)

One other thing (and then I'll stop rambling)...the Fomapan 100 and 400 definately look like members of the same family, but the 200's a little different. As I mentioned earlier, it's a little more "old school" looking to my eyes.

Be well.
    Dave
    Last edited by Mongo; 05-10-2005 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The latest Freestyle catalog that I have says this about Arista II:

"Freestyle has now found another manufacturer, also based in England, that shares our commitment to the continuation of black and white photography."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went back and looked, and I guess they only say "made in England" regarding Arista II papers. I was a big fan of Arista Pro films, and I'd try the Arista II, except it looks like they are only offereing it in 35mm. Where's my cheap 120 !?!

EDIT: I guess the Agfa brand is only 30 cents more a roll than the Arista Pro was priced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anybody order the new Ultra.edu 120 yet? What does the backing paper and numbers look like?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

cheap APX100

This place has 120 APX100 for $1.49 a roll. I got e=mail confirmation from them that it's fresh stock. The shipping is a little high but $47.25 for 25 rolls works out to $1.89 each delivered & I can read the numbers through the red counter window.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh I can get Agfa fairly reasonably locally. So the other choices are more for expand choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin