Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,024   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Thanks for all the help, my first roll of film I developed turned out just fine. I had the temperature of the developer a little warm (I forgot to cool the XTOL down after mixing it up!). Still, seemed to turn out ok, maybe the times on DigitalTruth for XTOL are too short? I wasn't sure how much to agitate it, so I just did 4 inversions every 4 minutes or so.

Im not sure if you can tell from these negs if they've be overcooked. Its Neopan 1600, XTOL 1+1, 7.5 minutes @ ~26degrees

My sons first haircut

Slide..

Friends full moon party..

Cinema

Images
    Looks good to me. I like Cinema. Real small guy in a real big place.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Snaggs,

Congratulations. Your first effort and you ended up with shots worthy of an evening in the darkroom.

BTW: Try to avoid heating the water for Xtol above the recommended temperature (85°F I think). I love Xtol and have never had any storage problems. I attribute the majority of the problems others have had to poor handling.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's your first roll?!!!! WOW!!!! Welcome to the addiction they are very impressive and I like. Now I'm off to sulk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At 26 degrees, development time should be around a half of the 20 degree time. "so I just did 4 inversions every 4 minutes or so" for 7.5 minutes
    This may be why you didn't get badly overdeveloped negs - very little agitation.

There are basically two favorite agitation regimes - 10 seconds initial agitation followed by either: 10 seconds of inversions every minute (Ilford) or 5 seconds of inversions every 30 seconds (Kodak). Pick one: which doesn't really matter but you need to be consistent. The magic comes from consistency: same temperature, same developer concentration, same developer volume, same agitation, same everything each time. Then, if you find your negs are too dense, you can reduce the time and likewise, if too thin, increase the time.

Having waffled on at length: (shut up at the back - I heard that)... well done. I'm sure those are far better than my 1st negatives (which I can't remember, so I have probably mentally blocked out a deeply distressing experience )...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Looks good to me. I like Cinema. Real small guy in a real big place.

Small guy? where?

Great job for the first roll.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

Politely disagree

I have been taught that it is better to allow more time between agitations, say one minute, as this allows for more compensating effect and more edge effect. Everyone has their own style, but I think that in 120 and 35mm, less contrast is better, you can punch it up later. It is easier to expand onto paper than squeeze a scene onto it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bring out the bubbly! Nice job for your first roll. I know how you feel on this one. This is why I went from digital back to film. Love the smell of developer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In principle yes. Semi-stand development with one inversion every 5 minutes, for sure you will see a difference. Likewise, with continuous agitation in a rotary processor I would expect a difference too, but I remain to be convinced that you will see any difference in practice between 10 secs every minute and 5 secs every 30 secs (allowing for any necessary adjustment in overall time to maintain density). Of course, I could well be wrong, so if anyone has done a like-for-like comparison it would be interesting. Hmmm... I have 10 rolls of FP4+ in need of developing tonight (no, scratch that, I only have personal times for rotary development)...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kind of related to the 10s/minute vs. 5s/30s...

A&T recommend at least 10s of agitation, otherwise flow is not sufficiently disrupted. Any thoughts on that?

allan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin