Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,645   Online: 955

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APX100 in 120...what to expect?

I heard the sound of those marching to the altar of APX, and decided today to try out Agfapan APX100 in 120 for my Yashica-D (yashikor lens). I probably won't be developing this film myself yet, so my faithful local lab will process it in HC-110, or Xtol on demand. I've read that Rodinal 1:50 is a holy water for this film, but for now it's not a practical option.

I've been shooting FP4+ in 120 so far, and despite my decision in a previous post to settle on it for future work and learning, I feel the urge to try good, cheap Agfa.

So what should I expect at the bottom line? I'm shooting mostly available light, outdoors photography, and will probably be doing ordinary stuff with it like portraits, streets, buildings, and scenery. Is there anything in particular that should attract my attention? What should I look for in order to draw a comparison between FP4+ and APX100?
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 05-10-2005 at 10:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Duh, repeating myself when drunk, not good!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    I heard the sound of those marching to the altar of APX, and decided today to try out Agfapan APX100 in 120 for my Yashica-D (yashikor lens). I probably won't be developing this film myself yet, so my faithful local lab will process it in HC-110, or Xtol on demand. I've read that Rodinal 1:50 is a holy water for this film, but for now it's not a practical option.

I've been shooting FP4+ in 120 so far, and despite my decision in a previous post to settle on it for future work and learning, I feel the urge to try good, cheap Agfa.

So what should I expect at the bottom line? I'm shooting mostly available light, outdoors photography, and will probably be doing ordinary stuff with it like portraits, streets, buildings, and scenery. Is there anything in particular that should attract my attention? What should I look for in order to draw a comparison between FP4+ and APX100?
    What to expect - great results

I have souped APX 100 in Rodinal (1:50 & 1:100), XTOL, D76 and D23 1:1. The D23 1:1. I stole this idea from Hey Lloyd who has an article on his web site about APX and D23

I made a series of trees in fog using APX-120 and D23 and enlarged them to 16x20. They were really sharp, fine grain with good shadow and highlight detail and a wonderful tonal range

The opening picture on my web site is one of these images.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The more I mess with it, the better things get.

I used xtol, d76, sprint, rodinal. All are just fine. Some are better (like rodinal 1+100).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It`s one of my favorite films, and I`ve had great results in XTOL.
    Here`s an example http://www.foto.no/cgi-bin/bildegall....cgi?id=149684
    I think I used Rodinal 1:50 here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    expect, above everything else, wonderful tonality. I just love the stuff and am gutted that there is no sheet. Some say they find APX very grainy. I find it similar to FP4 plus.

Thinner, clearer base than Ilford FP4 plus. I have used it in pyro devs, id11, aculux 2 and it is great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, how do you define tonality exactly? Is it the way the film react to different colors? I often see the term, but besides an intuititve grasp, I can't visualize what a good/bad tonality would be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    Tom, how do you define tonality exactly? Is it the way the film react to different colors? I often see the term, but besides an intuititve grasp, I can't visualize what a good/bad tonality would be.
    My thinking is that tonality (as far as B&W film) is the gradation from dark to light.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should add that I love it so much, that I am taking 150 rolls with me to mexico in 2 weeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This was the first film I put through my Hasselblad when I got it last year. WOW! It was beautiful and I have continued to buy it ever since! I've only developed it in Rodinal, but I'm sure other developers will be fine.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I've been using it for years - it is my main film for painting with light.
    and I develop in HC110 for 6min..

great film

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin