Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,175   Online: 1232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How to choose chemistry?

I've run out of my AGFA's and now I can't figure out what to use: MACO, KODAK or anything else?
    I can't get anything I would like to, because there are only some photoshops here.
    Anyone heard about MACO?
    And if KODAK- then Xtol or Tmax? I know there's a lot of tex about differences, but still..
    And I guess most of them would be ok.

Reinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Xtol produces nice fine grain negatives but is only available in 5 litre packages. If you don't shoot a lot of film then you run the risk of the Xtol going bad before you've used it all.

HC-110 is a good all around developer and the concentrate lasts for a LONG time even in partially filled bottles. Don't make the stock solution, as Kodak recommends, but dilute the concentrate directly to make the working solution. Use a medicine syringe to measure out the syrup. In some areas in Europe a less concentrated version of HC-110 is sold so check the label before diluting. Also check out this website for lots of good information on HC-110 http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110. They also have a good website for Xtol which is accessable from the HC-110 website.

Rodinal is cheap produces good results with medium to slow speed films and has similar keeping properties to HC-110.

Kodak Tmax developer is good with their Tmax films but is rather pricey and was not designed for conventional films.

Kodak D-76 (Ilford ID-11, Foma FV-3) is usually available even when other developers are not. Best used 1+2 with Tmax or Delta films.

You can find development times at http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Have fun,
    Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a preference for powder or liquid developers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally prefer liquid concentrates. But Xtol produces very nice images with fast films such as Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reinis
    I've run out of my AGFA's and now I can't figure out what to use: MACO, KODAK or anything else?
    I can't get anything I would like to, because there are only some photoshops here.
    Anyone heard about MACO?
    And if KODAK- then Xtol or Tmax? I know there's a lot of tex about differences, but still..
    And I guess most of them would be ok.

Reinis
    I have used T-max developer liquid concentrate with Ilford, Neopan, and Kodak films with good success. I only mix what I need and the concentrate keeps well in the bottle.
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    Do you have a preference for powder or liquid developers?
    Well, till now I've used ony Rodinal - liquid
    Well, is the T-max's grain fine enough?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you can edit your post, then I can too! :-)

whether tmax is fine enough is up to you. I have never used it myself. Rodinal is not a fine grain developer but its sharpness is great.

do you have a preference for a particular result? fine grain (at the expense of sharpness)? acutance (very sharp but grainier)? If you like the look of rodinal, there are several non-solvent developers that would fit the bill, and give you a bit more speed.

xtol does seem to be one of those "does everything" kind of developers. fine grain but good speed, and even some adjacency effects if diulted.

allan

Images
    I've played around with a bunch of developers they all have their own unique characteristics but plain ol' ubiquitous D-76 is as good as gold. It has earned its place as a photographic institution.

If I was stuck with nothing but Tri X and D-76 (Which was probably the first film/dev combo that I ever used, a few decades ago), It wouldn't affect my photography very much at all.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, it depends on what is on the film, but I don't think I want all the pictures to be very grainy. Ok, grain is good for some pictures, but that's not a reason to make the whole film grainy. So I think something that is midway between sharpness and fine grain, but a good midway - that would fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, as Flotsam said, D76 is one awfully versatile developer. Some might argue that you can get all that you want from XTOL and more than with D76.

Just to clarify - I didn't mean that the images would be grainy. Just more grainy with something like rodinal than with something like Perceptol (or even undiluted D76). The grain will be sharper.

allan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin