Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,105   Online: 803

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How long of an expiration date to expect?

When buying new film, how long of an expiration date do you expect? I just received an order for a large quantity of film (500 sheets) and the expiration date is September of this year (just 4 months from now). This seems to be a little wonky to me as I have never received new film with an expiration date of less than a year.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often see that as qualifying as "short-date specials."

When I buy new, I expect at least a couple of years. But I don't buy new that often, anyway.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    kaiyen is right... that shoul dhave been a short-date special and you should have received a good discount... did you?
    if not I'd complain to the seller
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was no mention of it being a short-dated product so I will send an email to the store.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sent an email to the seller and received a reply within 15 minutes that there must have been a mix-up by the person who grabbed it off the shelf and he offered me a 50% discount or fresh film + postage for the short-dated film. As I just cleared a bunch of space in the freezer and will soon be getting a deep freezer I took the discount (it's b&w film and should be okay for quite a while frozen)

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Who was the seller? That seems like good customer service, and I am always looking for stores like that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sounds like a good deal as it should last for years in the freezer.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some time ago.... quite some time ago. I did a *bunch* of calculations for a Reliablilty Lab using the -- Lord, Ive forgotten the name -- Arrhenius (??) equation, which is commonly used in conjunction with testing at elevated temperatures to determine approximate life expectancy. I do not remember exactly, but 72 hours of testing at, say 60 degrees Celsius, could be the equivalent of *years* of degradation at room temperature.

At the time, I calculated the increase in life expectancy of film: Reducing storage temperature to -18 C (0 degrees F) would extend the projected life to something over ~ 100 years.

I buy film, toss in in the freezer at -18C, and disregard all dating. As far as I'm concerned, it is no longer relevant.

Not long ago, I was approached by a girl who had spent a summer in New Mexico. She asked me if I had any idea why her film was so 'washed out' after it was processed upon her return. I asked her about the film storage in New Mexico: "Oh, I just kept it in the glove box in my car."
    - In the glove box, no garage, all summer in New Mexico. I told her that I thought that she was fortunate to have any image at all on that film.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    Who was the seller? That seems like good customer service, and I am always looking for stores like that.
    It was very good customer service and I am now a dedicated customer to J&C (an Apug sponser). John is going to send me the last 8 boxes of short dated film and fill the rest of the credit in with J&C100 in 120 (thought I would give this one a go).

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeremy:

I would think that most "fresh" film would have an expiration date of at least two years. At least that's been my experience.

Pitchertaker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin