Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,183   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeegee film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Squeegee's are for windows. NEVER squeegee! I run my film thru Photo-flo and hang to dry with clothespins on the end. You might want to use distilled water with your Photo-flo and pour it down the strip of film before hanging. I don't have water spots, but maybe I'm lucky.

NOTHING touches my film. Why take the chance?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    101 ways to skin a cat, or in this case prepare and dry a roll of film!

I think using distilled/di-ionised water as a final rinse is the ticket to perfectly clean negs. I fill my tank with distilled water to about 1cm about the negs then add 1-2 drops of Ilford Wetting Agent, give it a medium gentle stir and let sit for 30secs or so. I then lift out the reel(s) and shake them sideways to diplace most of the water. I then remove from the reels and hang to dry. Always spotless!
    Never ever use a squeegee or wipe your film! To do so is an invitation to film damage!

My technique is very similar to Nige's. The only difference is that I add 1-2 drops of Edwal LFN (a low foam wetting agent) instead of Ilford Wetting Agent. to my final rinse (I use 18 megaohm deionized water). I have no doubt that the Ilford product and distilled/deionised water works equally well.

With rollfilm, I shake the excess water off the reels, then hang the film to dry in a dust free place.

I use the same basic technique with sheet film, but I don't shake sheet film, I just hang it by one corner and let it drip.

My film is always spotless and I have no residual gunk on my stainless steel equipment.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have scratched negs with squeegie - BUT it was my own fault. That tool has to be clean and spotless as well as moist (at least at the edges) to work properly, and then it does!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I never use it. I use Agfa Agepon sometimes and plain distilled water otherwise just before drying. I spin the film in a centrifuge and the water is thrown off the film. Then I dry in a drying cabinet. No scratches at this point. While printing I need to be more careful, though

Shooter
    Large Format
    photo-flo, finger squeegee, hang to dry - no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use photo flo and a squeegee. The photo flo is in solution in a large (18 inch diameter) stainless steel salad bowl, while I leave the squeegee laying at the bottom of the bowl, I hold the negs at each end and seesaw them through the photo flo solution. I then squeegee the negs with the soaking wet squeegee held at 45 degress to horizontal.

If you keep your equipment clean and store it well there should be no problems. I have never scratched a neg.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In some water supplies, Photo Flo causes spotting problems. Use distilled water and 1/2 the recommended amount of Photo-Flo for you final rinse. I bet you one used squeegy that your problem goes away.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    how did you get the distilled water (now if that is a stupid question)?
    I see, I see, I get the picture!

Images
    I buy gallons of distilled water at drugstores, CVS, Walgreens, etc.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither Photo Flo nor squeegee. After washing I fill and agitate the tank 2-3 times with distilled water, then hang to dry. Never a problem. Actually, I have had a spot or two, but they are rare and seem to clean up easily.

Bruce

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin