Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,628   Online: 683

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squeegee film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    with the photo flo, i still have the first bottle i bought from 1980 - you can't even read the writing on the bottle. i've never used anything but tap water, and about 2-3 drops of photo flo dispensed directly in my film tank or tray.

if it is roll film, i usually have a hanger in the middle, so i can raise/lower it a few times, then tap the tank to get all the bubbles off of the film, then gently flow a little water into the tank, so i can get the bubbles off of the water. tap the tank ( bottom or side ) to make sure the bubbles are off of the film, hang the film, shut the lights off and leave.

sheet film is a different story - put the a few drops into the tray, pull each sheet out one at a time and hang by the corner. shut lights off and leave.

i admit the 35mm/120 method is kind of overkill but i haven't had water spot problems ( i've used tap water in 5 different locations ).

Images
    I understand that some squeegee 35mm film between the index and middle fingers. I wouldn' t trust this. Distilled water and photo flo (the higher dilution) works for me. I have fairly low humidity most of the time and film dries pretty fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried: squeegee, distilled, wetting agent, plain mains water and combinations of all the above. Now, I just use a final rinse in distilled water as it's the simplest and it works for me. The only ones I don't recommend is the squeegee and plain water - sooner or later you ARE going to get a scratch and it WILL be on the best negative you have ever produced of the most interesting and un-reproducible subject you have ever shot. Guaranteed....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by North for Short
    how did you get the distilled water (now if that is a stupid question)?
    No such thing as stupid questions on APUG.

You can buy distilled water at most grocery stores/drug stores or you can make it yourself. I was going through so much that I finally bought a distiller on ebay. It works great and drops your costs to around $.25 per gallon. Here's a link to the one I bought. I am very happy with it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...380664897&rd=1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photo-Flo contains an anti-foaming agent made from tallow (animal fat). This can leave waxy spots or a film on your negatives if you use too much. Use no more than 4 to 5 drops for each 250 ml of water. I keep a photo grade sponge in a ziplock bag. Before each use I rinse it thoroughly in water and squeeze it dry. After hanging the film up I dip the sponge in the rinse bath squeeze it out and *gently* wipe each side of the film. Apply only enough pressure to keep the sponge in contact with the film. I never have any problems with spots or scratches.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "how did you get the distilled water (now if that is a stupid question)?"

I work in a power station. We run once through boilers (no drums) so they have to run on ultra pure water. It's a 1350MW plant so we have quite a bit of the stuff kicking about.
    Beware of some stuff sold as distilled water, particulary if it's marked battery top up water, sometimes they put aditives in there.
    If you can find a good supply of good distilled water mix all your chemicals in it, they will last much much longer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin