Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,858   Online: 1096

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sprint Chemistry

What do y'all think of Sprint Chemicals? I live a few towns over from their plant and I've been there many times to pick up supplies for a photo supply company I used to work for. Very nice bunch of people working there.

Anyways, I was wondering about the quality of their chemicals. They're less expensive than the big names, so I was thinking they might be a good choice for stopbath, fixer and hypo remover. I don't think I'd use their developers (especially since I finally took the plunge into Rodinal), but I can't see why you couldn't make an economical move to their other stuff.

Any opinions?
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used Sprint chems when I was at RISD this past summer. I thought they seemed perfect for colleges since you can buy them in huge quantites. I think the film developer was D-76. Their fixer was nice since it had an optional hardner. I had no problems with any of them.
    -Grant

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    we used them for years, and was very pleased.
    I would love to continue using their products but can't be found locally, or i would do so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used their fixer - very good
    I once bought their liquid D-76 clone developer, and performed as well as the yellow bag.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

School use of Sprint

We use Sprint in a high school classroom -almost exclusively. We have been very pleased with it and wouldn't think of changing. No problems, ever. They are economical, very consistent and very easily controled within a classroom. The developer, when diluted to their standard of 1/9 is the same as D76 1/1.

I use a variety of developers myself but I use Sprint Stop Bath (or water) and Sprint Fix all the time.

Whitey Morange

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi ara

i've used sprint chemistry off and on for a long time. i started with it in high school, and later college and on my own ( while in high school, college & "real life").
    i've drifted away from everything but the fixer, and won't switch to another because sprint can take such a high capacity of film/paper before going bad. the folks at sprint told me that if you use "hypo check" (hi-tech sal****er/brine) when it gets cloudy, the fixer is about 1/2 way spent. the nice thing ( besides ease if mixing) about using all their stuff - dev/stop/fix/fixremover is when the stop bath "indicates" it doesn't indicate just the stop is bad, but *everything* is 'spent' -- *that* is the system in the sprint system of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian

Any opinions?
    Ara
    Well, actually, I don't much care for the PQ-based print developer at all. It tends to be extremely cold toned and the effect is excessive with many of the Eastern European emulsions (e.g. Forte Elegance Polygrade V). In fact, prints with that stuff almost look as if they were Blue toned. Not good.

It might work just fine for Ilford MG and Kodak PolyMax, though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin