Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,865   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Negative Storage

How do you all store your negatives? I hate the 3 ring binders and I cannot find the boxes that do not have the rings in them. What do you use?

I also have to have them where if I had to rush out of the house I can just pick up and go.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first thing to worry about is what the negs come in contact with. You don't say what you use, but I think most folks use the Printfile system, a kind of poly material that is acid free and generally considered archival. (you can find it on the web) They come in different versions for different formats and generally are meant to go into 8 1/2 x 11 binders. What you put those pages into doesn't matter as much, but Printfile makes nice binders for $15 - $20 each (that's what I use, to answer your question). Considering the work you put into negs, do the most you can. Once the score is lost, the performance has a hard time happening.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Sorry should have mentioned. I use print file also but just do not like the rings in the boxes.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Kev,

I love the polyethylene boxes with the 3 ring binder feature.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use the boxes, sleeves and folders from Light Impressions:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...:139100:139120
    Paul Hamann

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a filing cabinet and hanging bars for the negative pages.
    Before I had space for a filing cabinet, I used rubermaid document containers with silica gel packets on the inside. The rubermaid document containers hold the hanging files/negative sleeves the same as a filing cabinet.

For 4x5 negatives I use the 4x5 polaroid print pages with 4x5 print sleeves.. The sleeves hold a single negative and slide into the page.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Permit me to extend the question

I find the more perplexing question is "Where do you store your plastic three ring binder with the print file system insider of it?

For me, the closet is unsatisfactory. I have been creating priceless and irreplacable negatives for 35 years. Houses DO burn down (never happened to me, thank god!).

I thought, "I'll get a safe at home." Then I found out fireproof safes rated for smoke damage are very expensive. Even worse, lets pretend a burglar breaks in and holds me up at gun point. FIRST THING he says is: "Where's the safe??" So I show him the safe and it has no money....only freakin' NEGATIVES in polyethylene sleeves. WHat does the frustrated, coke deranged dude do? HE SHOOTS ME!!! Or WORSE YET, he lets me live and damages my negatives.

O.K. So I go to the Wells Fargo Bank nearby, where I have an account. Lo and behold, my plastic binder does not fit into the largest safe deposit box ( 1/2 inch to wide). My solution?? THe print file system comes out of the binder and goes directly into the largest safe deposit box. VOILA!!

So, I print about 1x per week, usually on a Saturday morning from 6 AM to noon. (After that I'm with the wife and son). So, I usually make a trip to the vault on a Friday afternoon to deposit the work paycheck, deposit last weeks negatives, and pick up the negs for tomorrow's printing session.

I'll tell ya'll the truth. I sleep much better at night with my paranoia put to rest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I could not stand it if my negs were not right here where I could get to them when the desire to print hit me. I use print files and binders and they are all in my darkroom
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Images
    The problem with the binders is that I can never view the negs on a lightbox with them so I buy those super cheap three-ring report covers and cut the covers off them, keeping just the spine. at least I can flip through them over a backlight.

I'm just glad that I don't have to worry about whether my photographs will exist at all five years from now on flash cards, CDs or hard drives. My 30 year old Negs still look like they did when I pulled them out of the drying cabinet.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also use PrintFile pages, but simply store them in manila folders labeled by the person, project or location. The folders then go in a conventional file cabinet in hanging folders.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin