Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1152

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NaOH is deliquescent - capable of attracting moisture from the atmosphere and becoming liquid. It also combines readily with atmospheric Carbon Dioxide. As the process continues, it forms Na2CO3 - Sodium Carbonate.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    NaOH is deliquescent - capable of attracting moisture from the atmosphere and becoming liquid. It also combines readily with atmospheric Carbon Dioxide. As the process continues, it forms Na2CO3 - Sodium Carbonate.

Thanks Tom...that was my understanding as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    My grandmother made soap using lye and lard. It is used in many drain cleaners. Most of the others use potassium hydroxide. Some even use concentrted sulfuric acid. Clorox is pretty bad stuff. None of it compares with the dangers of walking across a city street, IMOH.

NaOH is certainly caustic, but I can't see the volatile part. What evaporates from its surface is water.
    If you need NaOH, don't come to my place. Not only won't I have any (or sulphuric acid either, for that matter) but I'll probably be out taking my chances walking across the street.

Images
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating, if a formula is good enough it will sell itself, the do everything magic solution does not exist, does it? Or do you know something I dont know and your not telling? Sounds like school yard stuff doesn't it? Some may find it all a bit tedious, others entertaining. I think people who put formulas out there should be able to take both praise and flak, let the people decide, even if in their ignorance they are right or wrong as the case may be. Good Luck, Bogey

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Thanks Tom...that was my understanding as well.
    Of course. What I meant to say was that if anything evaporates from the surface of a solution of NaOH it is water. Spilling dry NaOH may not be as dangerous as spilling dry pyrogallol.

I can get my lye as well as Grandma's Lye Soap at a grocery store. There are certain food processes that require lye, IIRC. My point was that while you are keeping lye out of your house, don't forget detergents of various kinds as well as other cleaning agents.
    Gadget Gainer

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    If you need NaOH, don't come to my place. Not only won't I have any (or sulphuric acid either, for that matter) but I'll probably be out taking my chances walking across the street.
    I won't invite you for Lutefisk, then

NaOH is perfectly safe if handled with respect. There are many other chemicals we use regularly which require protective gear up to full HazMat in addition to respect if they are to be perfectly safe - yet we use them.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote: "Sandy has made a lot of claims and pronouncements regarding Hypercat, based on two very simple tests. I believe that He knows enough about developer formulation and testing to know that his results can not be considered conclusive, or his tests exhaustive, and making the claims he has is irresponsible, at best."

Jay,

I find this to be humorous if nothing else. This is aside of yours is sort of like a "Toss Pot calling a Kettle black"....I would give your viewpoint a lot more credibility if you weren't the one making all sorts of "out of you A**" claims.

Personally I have more faith in Sandy's results then I will ever have for yours...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jay... Have you continued work on the HyperCat? I'm just finishing some wringing out of other projects and was going to return to some HyperCat and variant testing. Is your formula still intact or have you massaged it at all? I may soon have access to a microscope that is mounted on an x/y coordinated device that will measure to 0.5µ. Does anyone know if this is enough magnification/accuracy to compare grain clumping sizes? It might be interesting to validate and quantify what seems to be apparent in projected negatives. Does anyone have any resource for information on this sort of thing?
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is most interesting is how many posts were deleted.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    What is most interesting is how many posts were deleted.
    What are you referring to?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin