Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,327   Online: 925

Shooter
    Multi Format

Developed HP-5 120 shows paper backing?

All,

Developed my first roll of HP-5 after a 5 year hiatus from my own B\W work.

Used Ilfosol-S at 1+9 and the developed negs are a bit underexposed. (This was a mystery roll in that no exposure info was recorded)This roll was from a 17 roll lot that I had in the freezer that I didn't get around to processing at the time. They have been kept in the freezeer since exposed.
    I can see faint images of the paper backing and numbers in the sky areas of the negs. :o

I have not seen this before.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe the film got moist. One of the first films I ever developed was the paper roll which I spooled on to the spool (with great difficulty!) and threw the film away....

Shooter
    127 Format
    The obvious explanation is that it's been exposed throught the backing paper, by loading or unloading it in bright light.

However I've had the same effect from older film, and I suspect that the ink can react with the emulsion over long periods of time.

If it were exposure through the paper then each frame would have it's OWN numbers on it (taking into account the three different numberings), while if it's an ink reaction then it would have the number of a frame before or afterwards, depending on if the reaction was before or after exposure.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    The obvious explanation is that it's been exposed throught the backing paper, by loading or unloading it in bright light.

However I've had the same effect from older film, and I suspect that the ink can react with the emulsion over long periods of time.

If it were exposure through the paper then each frame would have it's OWN numbers on it (taking into account the three different numberings), while if it's an ink reaction then it would have the number of a frame before or afterwards, depending on if the reaction was before or after exposure.

Ian
    Ian,

I know I didn't expose the film through the backing paper. If that was happening it would probably show up within the first frame as the film back would have been closed. I think you are onto something regarding the ink reacting to the emulsion with older films. Every frame you can see just a faint numbering in the film.
    Now, I just processed another roll and it doesn't show any paper backing markings. I have another 15 rolls to develop so I will see if any more show up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had just 1 roll of FP-4 to develop. Along with this recent film I dev'd a roll of 120 FP-4 that I found in a collection of photographic junk that never usually sees the light of day. This roll was at least 15 years old. 2 things surprised me, 1, the paper numbering was clearly visible but feint on the exposed frames only. 2, the film base was much thinner and really difficult to load into a spiral. All I concluded from this - as it says on the box, develop soon after exposure!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin