Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,107   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Capacity of 120 films with Ilfosol-S?

All,
    Been getting back into B\W processing and using Ilfosol-S with HP-5 and FP-4 films. The info sheets for Ilfosol-S state that for a 500 ml bottle, it will process 16 36 exposure films (250mlx2). What is the capacity for 120? I used to know this but for the life of me I cannot think of it.

Any Ilford fans out there?

I also have some DD-X and want to try that with HP-5 but I wanted to use the Ilfosol first so I can compare. My reasoning is that the DD-X will probably be just for HP-5 and the Ilfosol will be for the FP-4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In general, capacity-wise, a roll of 35mm is equal to a roll of 120, 4 sheets of 4x5 or one sheet of 8x10.

I'm an Ilford fan, too. FP4+ is my "standard" medium-speed film, HP5+ for moderately fast, and Delta 3200 in smaller fomats when I need maximum speed. I use DD-X for all, at the suggested 1:4 dilution.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    In general, capacity-wise, a roll of 35mm is equal to a roll of 120, 4 sheets of 4x5 or one sheet of 8x10.

I'm an Ilford fan, too. FP4+ is my "standard" medium-speed film, HP5+ for moderately fast, and Delta 3200 in smaller fomats when I need maximum speed. I use DD-X for all, at the suggested 1:4 dilution.
    rbarker,

One roll of 120 is equal to a 35 mm roll of 36 exposures? If that is equal to 120 that would mean I could develop approx. 16 roll of 120 wth 500ml of Ilfosol-S? So you think I should use DD-X for fp-4 AND HP-5 and ditch the Ilsosol-S?

Thanks,

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The problem is that it takes 500ml to fill a tank to develop one roll of 120. So at 9:1 that means that you can develop 10 rolls of 120 with a 500ml bottle of ilfosol-S, even if the dev could do more.

I only use Ilfosol as a 1 shot. Since my choices of tanks are 250 ml, 500ml and 2L, I usually stick with the 500ml tank and do one roll of 120 at a time. This method also lets me do a bit more exposure compensation than doing 4 rolls of 120 at a time.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use DD-X for FP4 rolls, and it works perfectly. Dilution 1+4.
    Also, I put two rollfilms onto one reel, one behind the other, so I use 500 ml for 2 rollfilms. It is a bit fiddly, but it works fine.

Anne Marieke

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used lots of Ilfosol-S for developing FP4+, mostly at 1+14 dilution. two 120 films to a reel, third film held as backup to be developed separately in case I screwed up the first two. This was when I was doing semi-professional things.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PCGraflex
    All,
    Been getting back into B\W processing and using Ilfosol-S with HP-5 and FP-4 films. The info sheets for Ilfosol-S state that for a 500 ml bottle, it will process 16 36 exposure films (250mlx2). What is the capacity for 120? I used to know this but for the life of me I cannot think of it.

Any Ilford fans out there?

I also have some DD-X and want to try that with HP-5 but I wanted to use the Ilfosol first so I can compare. My reasoning is that the DD-X will probably be just for HP-5 and the Ilfosol will be for the FP-4.
    500ml will develop 16x135 or 160x120 films (they're both about the same area). The problem is that unless you're using a rotary processor, you will need to mix up more developer for a 120 than a 135 (to cover the film) so you won't get those 16 rolls.

There have been a few threads too, about infosol-s expring without much notice. If you'll use a bottle in 3 months that's not an issue, but if you spread it out a bit like I do, you may like the security of a developer that has long legs in the shelf life department once it's been opened.

DD-X is good, as is Ilford LC-29. I use LC-29 as it is a lot cheaper here (Australia) due to the fact it is much more concentrated (1+9, 1+19, or 1+29) rather than DD-X at 1+4. Paying for the water content shipment from the UK makes DD-X a luxury item :-)

Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I forgot to mention Rodinal.

Rodinal at 1+50 works great with FP4 . It's not so great on HP5 IMO.

Rodinal will last for *years* once opened.

Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis
    The problem is that it takes 500ml to fill a tank to develop one roll of 120. So at 9:1 that means that you can develop 10 rolls of 120 with a 500ml bottle of ilfosol-S, even if the dev could do more.

I only use Ilfosol as a 1 shot. Since my choices of tanks are 250 ml, 500ml and 2L, I usually stick with the 500ml tank and do one roll of 120 at a time. This method also lets me do a bit more exposure compensation than doing 4 rolls of 120 at a time.

Mike
    Mike,

So, with 16 rolls of 120 per 500ml bottle of Ilfosol-S is the maximum you can develop, and my tank is 500ml capacity of developer, 10 rolls of 120 is the max you can get out of that volume. What then is the max amount of film you can develop with 500ml of mixed developer? I want to try 2 films on one reel. If 2 films can be developed with a 500ml one reel tank (as OLE has mentioned doing) then you could theoretically develop 20 rolls of 120? To develop more films I can go to 1:14 but thats only 14 rolls max (assuming the same 500ml capacity tank) I guess I don't quite understand that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I used lots of Ilfosol-S for developing FP4+, mostly at 1+14 dilution. two 120 films to a reel, third film held as backup to be developed separately in case I screwed up the first two. This was when I was doing semi-professional things.
    Ole,

Were you developing 2 films per reel in a 500ml tank or something different? Look at my response to JMDAVIS and the questions I posed there regading this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin