Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,844   Online: 890

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re-Washing Negs? Need help!

Hello everyone!! What an awesome place APUG is -- lot's of information to pour over here.

I'm new to this site, and new to developing negs. Can someone please help me? Pretty please? Here's my situation: I developed a roll of Tmax 120 film tonight, rinsed in photo flo as my final step before hanging the film to dry. I just went to check if the negs are dry, and they are, but I noticed what looked like a water spot on one of the frames. I've heard that you can rewash negs - can you? How do I? Just get the film wet and re-hang to dry? Sorry if this is a really dumb question - but I really love this roll and don't wan't to ruin it!!

Any tips, suggestions or advice is really appreciated!

Thank you!

Patrina Odette
    Denver, CO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but do it ASAP. Water marks, once completely dried are next to impossible to remove. Tips and tricks for washing/drying include hanging the film diagonally, so a water drop doesn't have to run all the way down the film to clear it, but will reach the edge within a few centimeters. The amount of wash aid depends on the quality of water used. With distilled water, I use it at about 1:150 - slightly less than the instructions. If dust is a problem, water evaporation can be accelerated by adding a few drops of alcohol to the wash.

Ignore that dilution. 1:200 is the instructions. I use it at about 1:300. Nearly everyone seems to agree that using less of it is better. Too much can in itself cause spots.
    Last edited by NikoSperi; 05-16-2005 at 03:18 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Oops, wrong dilution posted
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Images
    Good Morning, Patrina,

I agree with Niko's information above. I would add that the typical Photo-flo solution should be far, far more dilute than Kodak's recommendation on the bottle--at least with all the water I've ever used. Just a few drops (about enough to cover the bottom of the Photo-flo bottle cap) in the 16 oz. needed for a 120 reel should be adequate.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Previous responses are exactly right. PhotoFlo can be the source of water spots if it is used in an excessively strong dilution. I use about half the recommended amount and I always use either distilled water or water that has gone through our reverse osmosis filter to remove as much of the solid content as possible. And after placing the reel in the PhotoFlo solution and agitating, be sure to let it soak for 30 seconds or so without agitation before taking it out to dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone!! I ended up falling asleep last night after I posted this, and the film looks okay this morning. I'll use your tips on the next batch though. Now that I'm developing my film, it seems I'm even more attached the the images on them than before -- so I really hate it when there's a water spot toward the end of the roll (the last frames on the long end that hangs down). I think I'll find an eye dropper to take the PhotoFlo out of the bottle next time, and only use 1-2 drops. They should have one at the pharmacy. I've never let it sit for 30 seconds after agitation either, so I'll try that too. Gotta figure out how I can dry it diagonally, as I hang it to dry on a clothes hanger in a dust-free bathtub/shower.
    Thanks Nico, Konical, and Monophoto. I really appreciate your help on this one.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin