Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,107   Online: 1193

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jazzmechanic, before you decide to buy from outside the EU have a look here: http://www.phobatec-shop.de/images/international.pdf . They may also have out-dated or short-dated film available, just call them.

You will have to add 16% VAT to your own imports as well as to the prices from phobatec. When ordering from inside germany the film should be in your hands within 24hrs.

In 135 you need to be much more picky with your film as you have to enlarge more. In 120 most films behave if treated correctly and choice of film is more a matter of taste and style. If you don't enlarge much more than 11x14 you could easily use Tri-X for close to everything in 120 but not in 135.
    Last edited by skahde; 05-15-2005 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are in Germany, go Agfa Scala - you'll never go back.

Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quite often ebay has current films on there as well; just bought some SFX that has a date of late '06 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmechanic
    Great source...don't kick me . but is there a source that sells outdate film...ouch!!!.. I said don't kick me..
    :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mongo...thanks for your comments. I am new to this and taking some great classes with a superb lehrin (female teacher). I tried and developed Tri-X and feel good about the results. I love the smell of stop bath!!!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The reason why I am looking for outdated film is because I want to shoot a lot and I U have access to a darkroom for free to develop it.. I don' want to waste good film, if I can get some bulk quanities of outdated film for a reasonable price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know how much shipping will impact your decision, but both J&C photographic and FreeStyle have good deals on 120 film that's not outdated.

J&C has their J&C Pro 100 for US$1.39/roll. (If you use this film, I highly recommend that you do not use a stop bath but use four to six quick water rinses instead. The sudden shock of going from an alkaline environment in the developer to the acidic stop bath has caused emulsion holes for some people.)

FreeStyle has their new Arista.edu Ultra 200 speed film for US$1.49/roll (US$1.39/roll if you buy 20 or more rolls). This is by all accounts re-packaged Fomapan 200. I mentioned above how much I like the Fomapan 200 film; having it available for this price is pretty astounding. (Note that I have no proof that this is the same film as Fomapan, but if you compare the technical documents on the FreeStyle site it's pretty obvious that it's the same stuff.)

If the shipping from the US doesn't get too expensive, I think either of these films is a much better deal than outdated film unless you're sure the old film has been stored properly. Now, if you can find some Tri-X that's outdated and that you are pretty sure was well stored, then you might be able to get a price similar to the prices outlined above.

I do think you have the right idea: Shoot a lot. That's the best way to improve both your photography and your darkroom skills. Best of luck to you.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mongo...great thanks...shipping is no problem as I have an APO address..like shipping to NY. Who do you buy from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy from J&C. Their customer service is beyond great; it's the best I've ever received from any business anywhere. I'm sure that FreeStyle is good as well...but I've had spectacular service from J&C and buy all of my B&W film from them.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mongo said it - Tri-X does it all. Not only is it good for learning but good for experienced use too. I've shot everywhere between 200 and 3200. Even at the 3200 speed, it looked better than Tmax 3200.

Don't worry too much about buying out-of-date B&W film. I once developed an exposed roll that had been laying in my Dad's dresser drawer for fourty years. It still worked!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second the J&C Pro 100 -- very nice B&W film, in some ways the equal of Plus-X. Keeping the temperature carefully at or below 68F/20C, and avoiding the acid stop bath seem to help tremendously in avoiding bubbles and pinholes, though you'll still find very occasional coating defects (unavoidable, says John from J&C, due to the WWII vintage coating equipment in use). If you're shooting something critical, it's worth shooting two rolls; if you have defects, you'll probably have them spread along a whole roll, but it's very unlikely a second roll will have them also.

I've been shooting a lot of Pro 100 lately -- and I really like the black plastic film cans that are included in the price.

My other main 120 B&W is TMY. A lot of folks don't seem to like it, but in my process and to my eye, it's hardly any grainier than Pro 100, gives a full 400 speed, and has very nice gradations and tones. This might have to do with the fact I scan my negatives (until such time as I can get my bathroom, er, darkroom set up to print), but prints I've gotten from TMY have always looked wonderful, too.

Since you're on a budget, however, you might try Lucky SHD400. I've recently shot and processed a roll; I found it to look a good deal like Tri-X, though the base is very thin and the film likes to curl into a tube after drying. Some have complained the SHD films have poor toe speed, but I didn't notice a problem in my process (dilute developer, low agitation, and a long time in the soup), which tends to pull up the toe. The price of the SHD is very nice, too.

Another good budget option for faster film is Classic 400 -- this is Forte film rebranded, and though I haven't tried any, I've seen pictures from it that looked very good.

FWIW, in case you have trouble with X-ray damage with APO shipped film (and you might), all of these except the Pro 100 are available from fotoimpex.de and from Retrophoto in the UK; shipping within the EU shouldn't be a big deal, but the VAT can make you crazy...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin