Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,055   Posts: 1,561,344   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Recommendations for B&W Film

Greetings,

What are your favorite 120 black and white films and where can you get them for a reasonable price. I am american but live in Germany with the $toEuro the way it is, looking for some stateside sources.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can I ask what you intend to shoot and do you like contrasty or smoother prints?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry for that obvious oversite. I am currently shooting with a mamiya rb 67 and 645. Buildings and people are high on my list at the moment and I prefer smooth prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your going to get many many replies and suggestions.

I go for Ilford FP4+ for (ISO 50 to 100 use) and Kodak Tri-X (ISO 200 to 1600). Ilford HP5+ is also a beauty for faster film but these days I'm a Tri-X convert.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks TPPhotog.
    That's what I am expecting because, I will evaluate the recommendations and then start trying them.

Do you have any examples?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great source...don't kick me . but is there a source that sells outdate film...ouch!!!.. I said don't kick me..
    :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ebay

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ouch...you kicked me real hard...checked ebay...nothing..I will but new stuff...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    eBay is your best source for out of date film.

Of the films that J&C Photo sell, two have become my favorites in 120: Efke 100 and Fomapan 200. I shoot the Efke in everything from 35mm to 8x10, and it's gorgeous in all of those formats. Fomapan 200 is my other favorite film in 120. To my eyes it has that "old style, thick emulsion" look about it even though it's not a thick emulsion film...somehow it reminds me of the 1920's Hollywood glamour photography look. I especially like it for the things that you mentioned: buildings and people.

I still shoot Tri-X as my "fast" film, as well as the occasional roll of Ilford Delta 3200 for available light work.

You didn't mention your experience level, but I will tell you that if you're just starting out it's hard to beat Tri-X as a film to learn with. It's amazingly forgiving, every lab in the US (and I imagine in Europe as well) knows how to handle it properly, it's easy to develop yourself, and it never hurts to have a fast film in your camera if you don't know what you'll be shooting on a given day.

Best of luck to you. We're actually living in a time when our choice of B&W films is greater than it's ever been (who would have thought that?).

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out of date sometimes comes up for sale in the forums here. But more of us are getting wise to the point that the date don't mean much if the film is properly kept, I still have 35mm and 120 in my fridge that went out of production years ago. Good way to wind up your partner who thinks a fridge is for food LOL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin