Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,692   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Other Sites

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I check on lfphoto.info regularly, and the LF and Classic cameras forums on photo dot net. These tend to be less d'g'tal and "flamey" than the others. Then there's foto.no - if you read Norwegian. About 99% dig*tal, so I just look in for the last per cent. In German there's grossfomatfotografie.de, and the (rarely visited) fotoimpex labor forum.
    And f32.net.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    The largeformatphotography.info forum is NOT a break off of the LF forum on photo.net.

It was started by Q-T Luong as an independent forum on Philip Greenspun's original greenspun.com discussion board page and photo.net absconded with it in the middle of the night and took it over, much to the dismay of many of the participants. It functioned on photo.net for a while until enough people got fed up enough, server space was located, and the software was re-written so that the old independent forum could be re-established. The LFphoto.info forum is that re-established non-commercial forum.
    You're right, I stand (sit) corrected.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    The problem with hybrid communities is so many topics are considered rocking the boat, and then the majority always wins. I've seen threads promoting traditional on these sites get shut down within hours, and threads basically bashing traditional go untouched. I think when sites have that kind of bias it's great to take advantage of the internet, and find a site that has exactly what you're looking for..
    Add to that the number of critiques suggesting digital manipulation and correction of photos instead of sound advice on how to improve your photographic skills.

This is the only photography forum I visit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    I really struggle to think when the last time was I encountered bitching at photonet
    Gareth, LOL. Perhaps you've never tried to hang out in the Leica Forum on P-net? Ask a question there that the membership thinks is "beneath them" and see what happens!

I'm with Donald, I participate in the Classic Camera forum there and pretty much nothing else. I can get plenty of uncivil behavior here at work, I don't need it go looking for it on the Internet!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stark raving
    ..... Perhaps you've never tried to hang out in the Leica Forum on P-net? Ask a question there that the membership thinks is "beneath them" and see what happens!
    I've heard a rumour that there's a sign over the entrance to the Leica Forum that says "abandon hope all those that enter", sounds like a friendly forum :rolleyes:

The other forums I received a lot of help and support there, but got sick of the in-fighting of the minority that ruined it for the majority.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't posted over at photo.net for a few months, but the Classic Camera and B&W forums are fairly civilized, and medium format is okay. The LF forum isn't as good as Tuan's at LFphoto.info. I haven't looked at the general archived or unarchived forums for years. They were a cesspool. The galleries were responsible for the whole downturn at photo.net. It used to be more like APUG. The Leica forum--a cesspool among cesspools.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    The galleries were responsible for the whole downturn at photo.net. It used to be more like APUG. The Leica forum--a cesspool among cesspools.
    I agree. The last time I looked at photo.net the top photo was a picture of a closeup of a hand with a naked lady with fairy wings walking on the palm.

I've never been back.
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Gareth, LOL. Perhaps you've never tried to hang out in the Leica Forum on P-net? Ask a question there that the membership thinks is "beneath them" and see what happens!"

Hello Stark, No, other than a couple of ventures into their 'no words' threads I haven't bothered with the Leica forum. I've no doubt that Leicas are lovely little cameras but I do suspect there is a little snobbery involved, for some folks anyway. I have seen very many totally crap pictures on photonet taken with Leica rangefinders with the very best lenses, as well as few stunners.

Now what could I ask them? How about I enquire about one of those Canonette things that Tony recently purchased.

Or what about asking how my Canon 50mmf1.8 mk2 compares to the 50mm f2 Summicron.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    ..... Now what could I ask them? How about I enquire about one of those Canonette things that Tony recently purchased.....
    That would be were the Canonet would come in handy Gareth. Nip in with the Canonet (remember to take also a crucifix) take the shot undetected and get out again. If they saw it wasn't a Leica they would burn me at the ...... brings tears to the eyes

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Would that not be like stealing their souls, shooting em with a Canonet.

I've used many forums, though I only use a small handful now. One of the most pleasent and a joy to use is, err, umm, http://www.foc-u.co.uk/

foc-u stands for "Fazer owners club unofficial." That's Yamaha Fazer (you did say any other site!). Members are known as Foccers. I post on the Fazer 1000 corner. Lots of useful info, service guides, tyre recommendations, modifications, wee stories and so on. No hassel, no bitching, just good bike talk. Will be meeting up with a few of the boys soon. Great site.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin