Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,403   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Other Sites

Shooter
    Medium Format

Other Sites

I really love this site, howver, I am looking for an additional site that has the comfort and feel of this site. I have looked at several but the interaction is not like on this site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Happily or possibly sadly for the Internet this one is unique. As you say the interaction is special here. We do have our moments and fallouts at times, but they are usually resolved instead of becoming bloodbaths like other sites.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Totally agree...I spend hours a day on this site. Always learning something new and like the quick replys. Reminds me of the Linux forums....hint ...hint...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you shoot large format, the Q&A forum at lfphoto.info is usually pretty good. There's also a decent forum at www.graflex.org, if you use a Graflex. The forum at f32.net is also aimed at large format, and is pretty sane.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find pretty much the same atmosphere in the B&W Film and Developing forum and the Classic Cameras forum at photo.net, but not at other forums there (I mostly avoid the other forums there). And I almost never get a single comment when I put up a photo for critique there, just numeric ratings that I can no longer even backtrack to what the rater shoots (to determine how much credence to give a very high or very low number). I've been a user over there for almost two years longer than here -- but I've already subscribed here, and never have bothered over there.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Photonet is probably the biggest and best on the net. Nor in my experiance do you get the bitching and sniping that pops up on this site now and again.

Perhaps the forums vary in the kind of people they attract. The B&W forums are generally excellant. Perhaps avoid forums such as the Canon and Nikon ones, endless digital questions and helpful one line answers to lens queries like 'just get the f1.0L, you won't regret it'.

I post pictures on the documentary and news sections, often I get interesting feed back. Also you can post/host loads of pictures there for free. Many of the photos posted are dross, but just flick through there is some impressive stuff and some very talented photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gareth???

Photonet is probably the biggest and best on the net. Nor in my experiance do you get the bitching and sniping that pops up on this site now and again.
    You have got to be kidding me! LOL p-net is one of the most bitch orientated websites that I have ever seen in over 20 years of being a photographer...

I find that astonishing, but not surprising...

Dave

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i have to agree with dave, it has improved recently, but they have some real problems as well.

No were with so many people involve is one every going to avoid issues. Sad, but seems to be true.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Gareth???

You have got to be kidding me! LOL p-net is one of the most bitch orientated websites that I have ever seen in over 20 years of being a photographer...

I find that astonishing, but not surprising...

Dave

I really struggle to think when the last time was I encountered bitching at photonet, whereas I have encountered it here on quite a number of occasions, quite nasty too. Photonet one of the most bitch orientated web site in the last 20 years? Boy, now that is funny!

Meanwhile your post confuses me further. "I have got to be kidding you,......... astonishing, but not surprising." What the heck does that lot mean?!

At the end of the day, APUG is a great site, there is perhaps, like almost any such web site, a little bitching here and there, but the +'s outweigh the -'s.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Photo.net was my first real foray into the online photographic community. I learned quite a bit using the search engine. Discussion-wise, I don't bother. Photo.net has it's moments. Much too opinionated, although there are many people who have helped me indirectly in the past. DK Thompson's posts in particular were of much value to me.

Avoid the photo critiques unless you want to retard your photographic vision.
    sigh..

The linux community is good, if you want a bit more maturity i'd go for the FreeBSD community

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin