Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,382   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fil

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone tried Plus-X aerographic?

Hi all,

I came across this guy on that auction site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Has anyone here taken him up on one of these auctions and tried slicing it into 4x5? Did you like or dislike the film (Plus-X with extra red sensitivity)? It certainly is inexpensive per sheet if you work it out.

cheers
    fil
    ----
    good light

Shooter
    Large Format
    hey fil

i have 2 long 9 1/2 rolls of ed's film ( mrfoto1 ).
    i've used a few sheets, and the extra red sensitivity hasn't really bothered me (i don't shoot landscapes).
    it is pretty cheep, but kind of a pain in the neck to cut. if you do get some, remember that 4x5 isn't 4x5 exactly ... when it was a plate size it was 4x5, but film is about 1/16 or 1/32 smaller all the way around.

-john

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    hey fil
    i have 2 long 9 1/2 rolls of ed's film ( mrfoto1 ).
    i've used a few sheets, and the extra red sensitivity hasn't really bothered me (i don't shoot landscapes).
    it is pretty cheep, but kind of a pain in the neck to cut. if you do get some, remember that 4x5 isn't 4x5 exactly ... when it was a plate size it was 4x5, but film is about 1/16 or 1/32 smaller all the way around.
    -john
    John,

When you cut for 8x10, are you cutting to 10" off the roll and then narrowing to 8" as a second cut?

Or :

Are you using the 9-1/2" length as the long side (the 10" side) and cutting to 8" so that you actually use a negative that's 9-1/2" x 8"?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    John,

When you cut for 8x10, are you cutting to 10" off the roll and then narrowing to 8" as a second cut?

Or :

Are you using the 9-1/2" length as the long side (the 10" side) and cutting to 8" so that you actually use a negative that's 9-1/2" x 8"?

hi john

i am using the 9.5 as the 8" side and then cutting the 10" off of the roll ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    hi john

i am using the 9.5 as the 8" side and then cutting the 10" off of the roll ...
    Hmmm...ok - that's what I had thought of doing also, then one day the idea hit me that 9-1/2" was pretty awful close to 10" (9-15/16" actually) and I'd likely never miss 7/16". When I did the math, I figured I'd pick up 37 extra negatives per roll by cutting them short, so that's what I plan to do once I pick mine up next week.
    I'm looking forward to trying this stuff.
    The only concern I have is the stability with the negative only held on three side, but I'm sure there's simple solution for that also.

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Large Format
    SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    The only concern I have is the stability with the negative only held on three side, but I'm sure there's simple solution for that also.

cheers eh?
    i had thought of doing the same thing ... one cut and that's that ...
    but i got a little carried away <G>

oh, john, the solution to your prolem:
    double sticky tape ...
    it works if you tape film to a glass plate ( in holder ) why not in film holder?

- john

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello

I get good result with this film using PMK, AbC pyro and also rodinal.I use it for my 8.5x6.5 inch camera and also for ym panoram kodak 4x12 inch.

you also must take care of direct sunlight as the film has no any anti halation dye it may result in a pictorialistic effect if you develop with constant agitation and with a non pyro developer (or any contagious effect developer)
    I also get better result by developping in tray with normal agitation than by constant rotation.

Christian
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=John Bartley

[/QUOTE]

Or you could cut it a little oversized. The oversized 8x10 that J&C has fits half my holders very tightly. The stuff isn't moving on it's on. OTOH it won't fit half my holders no matter how much I curse.

So if you've got a set of one type of holders then just cut the film wider then normal. It'll be a little tougher to load but it won't shift.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nick, John,

Thank you for the good ideas - they certainly give me something to ponder. I'll likely have my film next weekend so I'll try both to start.

Christian,

Thank you for joining in with the development tip on agitation.
    I "was" going to make tubes to develop in, but now I think I'll start in trays and use them until I get comfortable.

cheers all

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In fact, I first use tube constant and get a little to much contagion of the highlight. I decide to atate athe first minute and then every 1 minute , but I got some marks this way ( you may do better than me , but it doesn't work for me.
    In tray I got no more problem. foe sure it need more care when I develop 12 films at time but it works great.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin