Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,277   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tmax Developer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tmax Developer

I have been using Tmax developer as my fine grain dev for the past few years but I do not seem to hear many APUG members recommending it. Why is this so? My supplier highly recommends it but does agree it is expensive.

I know Xtol seems to be widely used and recommended but I am too lazy to mix and use power developers.

So regarding liquid developers, how do you rate Tmax?

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using Tmax developer for years. My standard film is Tmax 400, usually rated with 250 ASA. I am very happy with the combination, as it gives me great tonal range.

And the best thing for me: it is easy and quick to use!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Alien:

I just developed about 5 rolls of 400TMY in this stuff and got back really dense negatives. How long do you develop for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew,
    I get dense negatives too, but they have all the information on them that I want.

I develop for 5min 30 sec in 26 degrees, agitate every minute.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Peter,

T-Max is not really a fine grain developer. The grain is a bit larger than I would like for 35mm but it works great with 4x5.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neal is right, you will get finer grain with other developer.

It all depends what you are after.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TMAX is by all accounts good for Tmax films and other modern emulsions but not perhaps the best for traditional emulsions. I have used the stuff and had no real feelings either way, apart from it being too expensive. At 1+4 is is silly! I am keeping Ilford DDX to one side for when I need more speed, but use that at 1+9 for economy. Theres nothing wrong with it, but I just cannot see a good reason to use ot unless using TMAX film and even so many would suggest cheaper alternatives. There are IMHO better alternatives out there for acutance (pyro devs/Acutol/FX39/Rodinal etc) fine grain (ID11/Perceptol/Xtol/Aculux/Xtol) economy (HC110/Ilfotec HC/Pyrocat HD/Rodinal & pretty well anything)) or for a general all round characteristics incl economy (ID11/D76/Aculux 2).

Theres nothing wrong with it! Just I wont pay £13 for 5 L of working dev when I can get most of the others at well under half this price (Aculux 2/FX-39 is £6.50 for 15L for example and both are superb! FX39 is aimed at emulsions such as the Deltas and Tmax and has an outstanding reputation at at 1/6th the price!.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    My aim in 35mm is always the thinnest negative will detail in the shadows where I want it. This leads to sharper, and less grainy photos. I took 10% off of the Kodak recommended time and they are still WAY to thick. I will probably go back to Xtol anyway.

Images
    Good Afternoon,

T-Max developer is what I have used for the T-Max films for as long as it has been available. Notwithstanding the "for roll films only" warning on the standard T-Max, I use the same stuff for 35mm, 120, and 4 x 5, usually in a 1:7 dilution from concentrate. I'm entirely satisfied with this developer and have never experienced any problems with it, although I could easily live with HC-110 for T-Max films should I happen to run out of T-Max. I can't comment on the RS version, since I've never used it.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

What do you recommend for a fine grain liquid developer to use with both modern and
    traditional films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin