Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,020   Online: 902

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 120 vs 220 Film

Shooter
    Medium Format

120 vs 220 Film

I am shooting a lot of 120mm film at the moment but was wondering if 220mm film is also being used by anyone. I know you get more exposures and it is more expensive to buy and develop. Just thinking.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The problem with 220 is that no body makes it any more, other than that it's great to use.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer using 220... but, if I don't make special order, usually find 120 only...
    Basically, I prefer 220 first because it's just loading 1/2 less... and my experience is that most of the (destructive) issues happen with loading/unloading. Taking really care once is far easier than doing it twice...
    I have also read that 220 film gets a better position on the film holder due to the absence of back paper.
    Third... but, that's absolutely personal... I love waiting. Guessing in my mind each and every photography of my rollfilm. Or I would have bought a digital camera...
    Charles "Biloko" Lemaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave, there seems to be at least one emulsion left: Kodak 320TXP. At least Kodak still lists it as available in 220.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...17/f4017.jhtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 220 in colour. None of the B&W films I like are available in 220.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    B&H lists TXP, PXP, and a good variety of color neg and transparency films from Agfa, Fuji, and Kodak as in-stock in 220.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak does; Portra and Ultra color films, a few Ektachromes, Tri-X in b/w and a 400 in chromogenic. Fuji makes C-41 and E-6 films as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    The problem with 220 is that no body makes it any more, other than that it's great to use.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like 220 when I know i'm going to go thru film. It is like a roll of 35mm film. If I'm not shooting alot I like the 120 better.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    220 is great if you shoot panoramics as shots per roll get into low numbers with 120. Also some cameras wont reliably drive 120 film through due to slippage between backing paper and film. These are rotation cameras like the Roundshot.

Even better than 220 is 70mm if you can get a back and film to suit, variety here is even worse than 220.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format

120 vs 220

I tend to use 220 in my 6x7 camera, but 120 is fine in my 6 x 4.5. But it is cheaper to buy 120 over 220, you will find 120 film on special but the only time I have gotten good deals on 220 is when it's short dated... But I sure like to load the camera less... I can usually pick up two rolls of 120 for less then one roll of 220, but one of the labs I use is a little less for 220 e-6 then 2 rolls of 120 e-6. So I guess it all comes out the same in the wash.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin