Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,550   Posts: 1,599,062   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

gold toner question

Hello,
    I noticed that Nelson's gold toner should be used - according to instructions - at a temperature of about 40 ° C. I have some problems in keeping so hot my developing tray. Anyone has any experience about using such toner? Does it works also at lower temperatures?
    Any information much appreciated
    Warm regards
    Antonio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I mixed it up and have only used it once so far. I tried it on Azo and I definitely was'nt at 40c, maybe 30c or so. It did shift it to a very warm red/brown tone after 10mins or so. I used the recipe on the formulas page on unblinkingeye.com. The reason i tried Azo was cos Nelsons Gold was supposed to be good for warm tones on chloride paper. I have'nt tried it on anything else yet, although i was wondering if it might work with Salt prints or Albumen prints too perhaps.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    it can work at room temp, but it will take a much longer time.

We place a tray with the toner in another larger tray with hot water.

be sure you fix after toning with a fixer that contains a hardener as the toner is hard on the paper.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Perikles
    Hello,
    I noticed that Nelson's gold toner should be used - according to instructions - at a temperature of about 40 ° C. I have some problems in keeping so hot my developing tray. Anyone has any experience about using such toner? Does it works also at lower temperatures?
    Any information much appreciated
    Warm regards
    Antonio
    One method to use is to place an electric heating pad under the toner tray. Be sure to have the pad plugged into a ground fault outlet.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewfrith
    I mixed it up and have only used it once so far. I tried it on Azo and I definitely was'nt at 40c, maybe 30c or so. It did shift it to a very warm red/brown tone after 10mins or so. I used the recipe on the formulas page on unblinkingeye.com. The reason i tried Azo was cos Nelsons Gold was supposed to be good for warm tones on chloride paper. I have'nt tried it on anything else yet, although i was wondering if it might work with Salt prints or Albumen prints too perhaps.
    Andrew,

That's an interesting question! I've not made albumen prints but from most of the modern ones I've seen, the prints are very warm toned to begin with, but the idea is interesting.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you for the answers. I wanted to try it with centennial pop...I will see if I can use an electric dish warmer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Perikles
    Does it works also at lower temperatures?
    I read one fellow's post where in he says he is happy using it at
    room temperature as long as he has an hour or so's time. I would
    suppose he gives the print or prints an agitation now and then.

I've been checking out REPTILE HEAT PADS. I think they may
    be just the ticket for Nelson's or any other up to 100F
    need. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just curious but does this high temp requirement apply to ALL gold toners or just Nelson's formula?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even at high temp, Nelson's is slow. It takes about 20 minutes to fully tone the papers I've used--mostly Ilford MG Warmtone.

I use the tray-within-a-tray of hot water and change out the hot water often.

Shooter
    35mm
    i guess nelson GT is slow on MGW because ilford mgw is slow with many toners. I am wrong?
    as far as i know the temperature requirement applies only to nelson formula.
    Anyway, saturday I will try with an electric dish warmer, I dont know where to find reptile heating pads, and I dont want to keep prints in it for 1 h

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin