Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,539   Online: 1077
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    And that is another thing I worried about. My graduated beaker has demarkations down to 10ml. If I'm doing 1:1:100 but only making 500ml of working solution, I have to do 5ml of A and 5ml of B. That means I pour water to 490 ml and then pour A until half way to the next mark, then B the rest of the way. Inexact at best. There's probably a significant difference between 4ml of A and 6ml of B vs. 5ml of each. That is assuming I'm only off by 1ml each direction.
    Most people use small beakers or syringes to measure the Pyrocat-HD stock solutions. I use a 10ml beaker for measuring small amounts and a larger 50 ml beaker for larger amounts. The difference between 4 and 6 ml of solution would not be catastrophic, but it would nevertheless have some impact on results.

    Be careful that you don't contaminate the stock solutions when mixing. This will shorten drastically their shelf life.

    Sandy

  2. #12
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,019
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Most people use small beakers or syringes to measure the Pyrocat-HD stock solutions. I use a 10ml beaker for measuring small amounts and a larger 50 ml beaker for larger amounts. The difference between 4 and 6 ml of solution would not be catastrophic, but it would nevertheless have some impact on results.

    Be careful that you don't contaminate the stock solutions when mixing. This will shorten drastically their shelf life.

    Sandy
    that means I need 2 syringes! I believe I would have made that mistake too. Thanks for the warning. You've saved me some frustration.

  3. #13
    Mongo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    that means I need 2 syringes! I believe I would have made that mistake too. Thanks for the warning. You've saved me some frustration.
    Just FYI: A lot of pharmacies will just give you measuring syringes if you ask. Whenever I'm at a pharmacy I've made it a habit to ask if they have syringes for "measuring medicine for babies." (If you tell a pharmacist that you want a syringe for "mesuring chemicals" you'll get some strange looks and questions about exactly what kind of chemicals you're measuring...I never had the police called on me for this but I imagine it would have only been a matter of time.)

    I get about a 75% success rate at receiving free syringes this way...the other 25% are pharmacies that sell syringes (usually for a buck or two).

    Be well.
    Dave (a.k.a. "The Scrounger")
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

  4. #14
    fhovie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Port Hueneme, California - USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,247
    Images
    92
    My last batch mixed pretty dark at the end (6 months or so old) Brownish purple? It worked perfectly though. Fresh stock solution always mixes a VERY pale yellow/amber. It doesn't seem to matter - Now I keep it in bottles that collapse and no air gets to them. This seems to keep them a lot fresher.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin