Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,539   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    And that is another thing I worried about. My graduated beaker has demarkations down to 10ml. If I'm doing 1:1:100 but only making 500ml of working solution, I have to do 5ml of A and 5ml of B. That means I pour water to 490 ml and then pour A until half way to the next mark, then B the rest of the way. Inexact at best. There's probably a significant difference between 4ml of A and 6ml of B vs. 5ml of each. That is assuming I'm only off by 1ml each direction.
    Most people use small beakers or syringes to measure the Pyrocat-HD stock solutions. I use a 10ml beaker for measuring small amounts and a larger 50 ml beaker for larger amounts. The difference between 4 and 6 ml of solution would not be catastrophic, but it would nevertheless have some impact on results.

Be careful that you don't contaminate the stock solutions when mixing. This will shorten drastically their shelf life.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Most people use small beakers or syringes to measure the Pyrocat-HD stock solutions. I use a 10ml beaker for measuring small amounts and a larger 50 ml beaker for larger amounts. The difference between 4 and 6 ml of solution would not be catastrophic, but it would nevertheless have some impact on results.

Be careful that you don't contaminate the stock solutions when mixing. This will shorten drastically their shelf life.

Sandy
    that means I need 2 syringes! I believe I would have made that mistake too. Thanks for the warning. You've saved me some frustration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    that means I need 2 syringes! I believe I would have made that mistake too. Thanks for the warning. You've saved me some frustration.
    Just FYI: A lot of pharmacies will just give you measuring syringes if you ask. Whenever I'm at a pharmacy I've made it a habit to ask if they have syringes for "measuring medicine for babies." (If you tell a pharmacist that you want a syringe for "mesuring chemicals" you'll get some strange looks and questions about exactly what kind of chemicals you're measuring...I never had the police called on me for this but I imagine it would have only been a matter of time.)

I get about a 75% success rate at receiving free syringes this way...the other 25% are pharmacies that sell syringes (usually for a buck or two).

Be well.
    Dave (a.k.a. "The Scrounger")
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My last batch mixed pretty dark at the end (6 months or so old) Brownish purple? It worked perfectly though. Fresh stock solution always mixes a VERY pale yellow/amber. It doesn't seem to matter - Now I keep it in bottles that collapse and no air gets to them. This seems to keep them a lot fresher.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin