Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 818

Thread: dk-50

Shooter
    35mm

dk-50

i was just recently given a package of dk-50. i have never used anything but hc-110. im having an aweful time finding any useful information about this stuff.

i shoot mostly tri-x in 35mm (at what ever ei the situation requires) and a bit of tmax 100. this is my first post here at apug, i figured if anybody could fill me in about this stuff it would be you folks.

Images
    It has been a LONG time since I used any of that. Films have changed in the meantime, so about all I can tell you is how I would go about finding times for myself. First, look in "The Darkroom Cookbook" to get something to start with. Next, shoot a roll all of the same subject. Use a few frames (inches) for a test. If you hit it lucky you're in and if you miss it, you'll know which way to go for the next test. You should do that even if you get a more definitive starting point from someone because we each have our own ideas about what is good.

You can learn a lot with one test roll if you use it a piece at a time. The first thing you will learn is is the developer is still good.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The usual place to find out some basic starting times is over at www.digitaltruth.com (click here) - massive development chart They show a time for Tri-x 400 of 6 minutes, 1:1 dilution at 68 degrees. I didn't see anything for TMax films, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Of course you will still want to test this and other development times with non-critical film images and find the time that works best for your individual needs, and pushing/pulling will require some experimentation, unless someone else here has some practical experience with this developer.

Good luck, and have fun. And let us know the results!

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I couldn't find any reference to DK-50 in my copy of the Cookbook. Do you know if there is a formula posted anywhere for it and what its special properties are? I have two small cans of it and I'm wondering what they would be good for.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i used to process sheet films ( tri-x + tri-x ortho ) 5x7 as well as 35mm + 120 in a deep tank filled with dk-50. it is a nice developer and a favorite for portrait photographers because it gives a nice crisp negative. the person i worked for would have me use replenisher and after the developer was mellowed by a bunch of sheets of film i would dump about 2/3 of the tank, and fill (mix) with fresh developer. when you first use the stuff and you aren't replenishing/ depleting it, the developer might be a little contrasty ...

the massive development chart's times are a good starting place, but i remember them being more like 7-9 mins. i would shoot and process a few test rolls before using the developer for something that is more precious.

i don't know italian, and google didn't really want to translate this page for me, but there is a formula for DK-50 at the bottom of the page...

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/morebacc/7formule.htm

- - john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    I couldn't find any reference to DK-50 in my copy of the Cookbook. Do you know if there is a formula posted anywhere for it and what its special properties are? I have two small cans of it and I'm wondering what they would be good for.
    I posted the DK-50 formula and directions in the APUG Chemical Recipes section a while back:

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=78

Dk-50 is a general purpose Metol/Hydroquinine film developer.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Tom! Looks like it could be used as a soft working print developer too if the M:Q ratios I saw in the Cookbook mean anything. At least I can use it if I run out of anything else to play with.
    Gary Beasley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin