Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,985   Online: 683

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cleaning chemical storage containers.

I was just rinsing my 1 gal. plastic jugs (Datatainer"s) when I noticed a bit of dried residue floating to the surface.My usual method of cleaning is to fill,slosh,dump,repeat.Should I be concerned with these chemical remnants? Is there a better way to rinse those containers?
    Thanks Much,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If theres dried crud inside thats not washing loose easily try dropping a few tablespoons of fish gravel into the jug half full of water and agitating vigorously. The abrasion will eventually knock everything loose and won't hurt the plastic or glass.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Household bleach and soap will clean off much chemical deposits...rinse thoroughly afterwards.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do it with those effervescent pills which are thought for cleaning dentures

Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In general, most crud can be cleaned off with a mixture of potassium dichromate and sulfuric acid. This would be about 30% acid and then saturated with the chromate salt. It is not for the faint of heart to use.

Another good cleaner is potassium hydroxide in isopropyl alcohol. Again, not for the faint of heart.

Sulfur deposits on containers is removed with concentrated sodium hydroxide solution.

I know, everyone will go crazy when they read this. Well, the chromate/acid solution was sold for years as tray cleaner in photo shops, and the sodium hydroxide is sold at the supermarket as drain cleaner. No big deal here.

Just remember, wear rubber gloves and safety goggles when using this stuff. Wash the bottles or trays completely after using these cleaners. I've been using all of these for years with no problems at all. I have clean trays and bottles all of the time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're using bleach make sure no ammonia is in the container. Do any formulas actually use ammonia? Rapid fixer? Or is the form different. Any ways. Don't let it dry on metal either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those "common" alternatives are most helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, use gloves. The last time I used a dichromate solution for cleaning, I didn't have fingerprints for a week! It was college, and 2 of us had to clean the bottles from the microbiology class. It was the only way to clean them, but gloves would have been smart.

I normally use the fill, slosh, dump routine, too. Every so often, I use bleach and extra rinses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fish gravel is too abrasive and will scratch the plastic making it harder to clean the next time. Dry rice is better an won't scratch the plastic. Developer stain is usually soluble in acid solutions. First try a small amount of 28% acetic acid.

If the bottles are so heavily stained that recourse to anything stonger than household bleach is required then it is best to buy new ones. Chromic acid cleaner is far too dangerous for home use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Muriatic acid is usually 20baume Hydrochloric acid. It's found as driveway/concrete cleaner at home-improvement stores.

I'm not totally advocating this, but it works well for me. I do wear goggles on my face if i'm really soaking/washing this stuff off of a large tray outside.

Never tried a chromic acid cleanser. I bet i'm stupid enough to try it :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin