Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,750   Online: 972

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF

HC-110

HP5+ and HC-110 go together extremely well. I shoot EI 320 and 800 in dilution H with very nice results, and controlling contrast is a chief consideration for my style of shooting and printing.

Dilution H is 1:63. Easy to mix up. I soup EI 320 (or 400 in your case) for 9.5 minutes. 1 minute or so continuous agitation and then just one inversion every two minutes thereafter. I use a water stop bath.

FWIW, same drill with EI 800, except a total dev time of 13 or 13.5 minutes.

HC-110 is widely available, inexpensive and has great keeping properties. Very flexible developer and lots of good info on different films/situations on the Web.

Scott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whatever you do, first get another roll of HP5 and develop it. (Or just develop a snip of it and save the rest for future testing) Then, when you know the approximate time that's appropriate, develop the roll with the treasured picture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    So if I did this and already had Rodinal at hand (as you do), I would go for Rodinal 1:100 and minimal agitation. This will pull most of the detail in the shadows, reduce the contrast, and give very "crisp" grain.
    What is the function of the minimal agitation? I once forgot to do this with another film and the results where pretty off. And thanks again for the well thought of advice, if learned quite a few things from your posts already.

cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by psvensson
    Whatever you do, first get another roll of HP5 and develop it. (Or just develop a snip of it and save the rest for future testing) Then, when you know the approximate time that's appropriate, develop the roll with the treasured picture.
    Actually there is one roll of HP5 drying and another one is washing at the moment, with all the advice I found it a bit tricky, I am going to develop my final one with ole his adviced method and go for the real one tomorrow. (and post a scan soon after that.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minimum agitation for Rodinal at higher dilutions (1+100) is important to supress the grain.

That's why Rodinal is less suitable for the rotation process.

Regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    Thanks for the tips! And I promise I will never load my camera with a film I don't know yet ever again, unless it's to get to know it....
    I don't have anything to suggest, except that I've had more "keepers" on the first roll of a new film type, new (to me) camera, new subject, etc. Few have been technically perfect, but I always look forward to the magic first roll effect and personally would never write it off as a "test" roll.

Having lurked a lot, I kind of infer that Diafine or another "compensating" developer is a good choice when a roll is all over the map, exposure-wise. Is that really the case?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    If you are having contrast problems with this film you are most likely over developing and not setting your shadows and highlights properly.

You really need to test this film to dial it in with the combination you use. I use HC110 1:45 and have no problem at all, but I also did all the testing to get all my N, N+, N- times down. I tested with LF and MF so make sure you do this first as other peoples times and EI will not be the same for you.

Also you really need to pick one film and run with it. If you don’t you are just going to get more confused. Pick one film you like and stick with it for a year and learn it inside and out. Without testing you will never get the results you want and your printing will become a nightmare.

Just my two cents for what it is worth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KJS, couls you share your test results with us please, I am more than intersted

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    PM Sent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin