Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,024   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

HP5, High contrast, developing question

I am still very excited about a picture I shot yesterday, the only problem is that it was shot with my first and only rol of Ilford HP5 (120).

Maybe someone has a developer suggestion for this film. I would love to have as little grain as possible, and have rodinal and ilfosol s at home. (but maybe something else is better.)

The contast was rather high but I am not sure wheter I should develop shorter since I would love the picture to stay a bit dark... Above that I had to slightly underexpose the shades since I didn't have a tripot with me.

I don't see myselves testing this film shortly since it's already hard to fully understand my first film APX100 and TriX is second on my list to learn..

Thanks for any tips in advance,
    Quinten

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hope you bracketed the shot, always a good idea, particulary if it's a film you are not familiar with.

Rodinal tends to be contrasty, very crisp but grainy.
    Ilford DD-X should give you fine grain with good tonality.
    Ilfosol S, should give you reasonably fine grain with good sharpness but not as tonal as DD-X.

Also maybe have a look at http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/HP5_Plus.pdf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with Jay.

If I am looking in our program best fit for minimizing the grain with HP5+ is the SPUR HRX-2 but as E.I. iso 250. If you had an iso setting of 400, we can suggest the SPUR SLD which gives a very regulair grain on HP5+.

From the (Dutch) Amaloco program AM50 is rather critical about the exposure and the AM74 will give too much grain in combination with the HP5+ and is for your request less suitable and not recommended.

Alternative the staining developer from Moersch: Tanol, but also used on a lower E.I. (iso 200).

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    I get what i think are very nice results from HC110 dil. B for 5 min. at 24c in a Jobo with HP5+ sheet film exposed at 2/3 of a stop less than the rated 400.

S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ID11 or D76 seems like a good safe bet to me. BLIGHTY
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This film usually works very well with D-76, even better with XTOL. I use either diluted 1+1 for D-76, or anywhere 1+1 to 1+3 for XTOL. Development times run on the long side and I lke that, since overdevelopment becomes a deliberate exercise instead of an accident. I've had good results with Rodinal 1+50 with HP5+ in medium format, but it is still not my first choice with this film.

Instead of jumping from one film to the next, you'd really be better off shooting with 1 film until you get the hang of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Without a doubt Diafine. It should give you a 1 stop increase and it develops in a wide temperature range. Buy it from Calumet as B&H doesn't ship it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tips! And I promise I will never load my camera with a film I don't know yet ever again, unless it's to get to know it....

I've written down some chemicals and I will try most of them soon (I need a 400asa film someday anyway)

Have a great day!
    Quinten

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quinten, you have got many suggestions here and I'm not going to recommend yet another developer that hasn't already been mentioned.

Since you shot 120, I wouldn't worry too much about grain. I would rather worry about exposure and contrast, which seems to be where you started off anyway...

So if I did this and already had Rodinal at hand (as you do), I would go for Rodinal 1:100 and minimal agitation. This will pull most of the detail in the shadows, reduce the contrast, and give very "crisp" grain.

Normally I would use Ilfosol-S with HP5+ (and FP4+), simply because I like the tonality that gives. But in this particular case I might go for what I just described - or maybe Ilfosol-S at 1+14?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HP5 and X-Tol go together like Sonny and Cher (in their good days then)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin