Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,101   Online: 1206

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wickford,Rhode Island, US (suburban/rural)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    if it's completely clear then it either didn't get ANY development (and I mean absoultely zero), or you put in fix instead of developer (not trying to insult you, just saying). If it had been unexposed you'd still get the lettering on the edges.

that's what comes to mind, anyway.

allan
    Unless you can fix with tap water, then I didn't fix before developing (no insult taken). I was very clear about sequence because I've been keeping an eye on the developer and saw it was quite brown. If the developer's exhausted, would that account for this occurrence? Why did the letters on the edge disappear? Did the black on the leader disappear too--I see nothing at the front of the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, fixer is clear, developer is dark.

Shooter
    35mm
    no, fixer is clear, developer is dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your developer maybe completely dead. Did you keep it?
    try developing a piece of film with the lights on, if that small piece becomes black in about a minute then your developer is fine...
    but the lack of a black leader is a clear indicator (to me) that you fixed before you developed or that your developer is contaminated with fixer

Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    Unless you can fix with tap water, then I didn't fix before developing (no insult taken). I was very clear about sequence because I've been keeping an eye on the developer and saw it was quite brown. If the developer's exhausted, would that account for this occurrence? Why did the letters on the edge disappear? Did the black on the leader disappear too--I see nothing at the front of the film.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    On one of the first rolls of 35 mm I developed, I did pour the fixer in first, and IIRC, the pink is from the fix being poured in first.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say you poured the fix (removes undeveloped silver) in before the developer. I'ts happened to many a photographer. Join the human race.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...Why did the letters on the edge disappear? Did the black on the leader disappear too--I see nothing at the front of the film.
    That is because - for whatever reason - your film saw the fixer first in your developing process.

Whether the film was actually exposed (in your camera) is another question.

If the film was unexposed AND saw developer FIRST you would see frame numbers, etc. on the edges of the film.

If you still have the developer, pour a little into a beaker or measuring cup and drop in a 1 inch piece of fresh film (do this with the room lights on). If the developer is still active, the film will turn black.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    I was very clear about sequence because I've been keeping an eye on the developer and saw it was quite brown. If the developer's exhausted, would that account for this occurrence?
    I'm unfamiliar with Sprint, and I'm still pretty new at developing my own film, but my understanding is that most developers start out clear or close to it and darken with use or with age. By the time something like D76 is brown, it shouldn't be used. I don't know if your Sprint would be completely useless when it's "quite brown," but that could be, at the very least, a contributing factor.

If you're re-using your developer, I'd throw out that part that's gone brown, or use it only for the sorts of diagnostic tests others have suggested, like developing film leader to see if it'll blacken in the developer.

If you're not re-using the developer but whatever you've got left from the original batch is brown, then it may have just gone bad from age or bad storage. In either case, dump it and buy some new developer, optionally after testing it on film leader or whatever. If you think it's gone bad prematurely, review your storage techniques. Ideally, most developers should be stored in full, dark, glass bottles. Some people prefer plastic bottles, but some types of plastic "breathe," so developer can go bad in them. If you're storing mixed developer in a single big bottle (like a gallon jug), consider splitting your next batch across several smaller bottles. Alternatively, use marbles to displace air until there's none left, and add more marbles when you use developer.

Note that a few developers, such as Rodinal start out quite dark (or so I hear; I've never actually used it), so these rules of thumb about color don't apply to them. If your Sprint was dark from the moment you mixed it, it might fall into this category.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal starts out clear, but can go brown fairly quickly. It's just that it's still fine way, way after it has gone brown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin