Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,575   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wickford,Rhode Island, US (suburban/rural)
    Shooter
    35mm

failed development?

Hey friends,
    as my darkroom developing skills are just starting to catch up to the others, I need to present a problem so I can avoid it in the future.
    I had a roll of 35mm Fuji Neoplan 400 that I shot in my Nikon F3. Just having the one roll to develop, I wound it onto a reel and put it in above an empty reel in a plastic tank. Then I went through the steps which I've used previously, with more or less success, to develop. But when I unwound the developed roll, it was entirely clear.
    What could have gone wrong--?
    --film loaded into camera incorrectly, nothing registered on film?
    --maybe darkroom has light leak, film exposed when loaded onto reel?
    --developer was near end of useful life, was planning replenishment after this roll. (could this be the cause?)
    --when I went to empty the tank after final rinsing, I noticed an unfamiliar pink color to the water leaving the tank, somewhat similar to the color of the film backing. (could this be related?)
    --there were no leaks from the tank body or lid.
    Any thoughts on this? Thanks--
    Chaim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What developer did you use?

Did the lettering on the film edges come out? Or is the film completely clear?

Are you sure you put in the right chemicals at the right time (ie - could you have poured fix in instead of developer?)

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    Hey friends,
    as my darkroom developing skills are just starting to catch up to the others, I need to present a problem so I can avoid it in the future.
    I had a roll of 35mm Fuji Neoplan 400 that I shot in my Nikon F3. Just having the one roll to develop, I wound it onto a reel and put it in above an empty reel in a plastic tank. Then I went through the steps which I've used previously, with more or less success, to develop. But when I unwound the developed roll, it was entirely clear.

--developer was near end of useful life, was planning replenishment after this roll. (could this be the cause?)

YES!!!

Chaim
    From your description of the results,
    EITHER:
    1. The film did not develop (but it fixed ok).
    OR:
    2. The film was not exposed (since this was 35mm film was the leader portion black after development)?

Questions:

How old was the developer?

How many rolls of film had you processed with it?

What was the temperature of the developer?

Why did you place an empty reel BELOW the loaded reel (instead of on TOP)?

Did you fill the tank completely with developer?

What agitation method did you use?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as you did actually use developer first you'd get some sort of image, even a developer thats begun to collapse will still give a hint of image. Are their any edge no's etc.

Sounds more like the film was unexposed, the pink in the rinse is not relevant its the anti halation dyewhich gives the colour to the film. A light leak causes fogging & so added density & ruined negs.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen

Did the lettering on the film edges come out? Or is the film completely clear?

Are you sure you put in the right chemicals at the right time (ie - could you have poured fix in instead of developer?)

allan
    I used SPRINT developer, as usual.
    Actually, the lettering on the edges did not come out, the film is completely clear. I hadn't noticed that.
    I am sure that I used the chemicals in the correct sequence.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if it's completely clear then it either didn't get ANY development (and I mean absoultely zero), or you put in fix instead of developer (not trying to insult you, just saying). If it had been unexposed you'd still get the lettering on the edges.

that's what comes to mind, anyway.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All claer? no markings on the edges? no black leader?

All those symptoms look like you fixed before developing.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    From your description of the results,
    EITHER:
    1. The film did not develop (but it fixed ok).
    OR:
    2. The film was not exposed (since this was 35mm film was the leader portion black after development)?

well I trimmed the very start of the leader so as to thread the film onto the spool, but everything that remained is clear,nothing is black
    Questions:

What developer did you use?Sprint

How old was the developer?maybe 4 months. I just did 2 rolls with it a few weeks back, no problem.

How many rolls of film had you processed with it?Four. The useful life before replenishment according to the directions is five.

What was the temperature of the developer?68

Why did you place an empty reel BELOW the loaded reel (instead of on TOP)?no good reason

Did you fill the tank completely with developer?yes

What agitation method did you use?
    what I was taught to use, nothing I haven't used before, invert and tap first 60 seconds, then 10 seconds per minute.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. If nothing registeres on film, at least the leader should be black
    2. darkroom had light leaks, the film would be all black
    3. developer dead, looks like. I'd advise you to start sing developer in one-shot dilution
    or if you are reusing developer you may have mixed fixer on your developer
    4. pink color is just dyes

Hey friends,
    --film loaded into camera incorrectly, nothing registered on film?
    --maybe darkroom has light leak, film exposed when loaded onto reel?
    --when I went to empty the tank after final rinsing, I noticed an unfamiliar pink color to the water leaving the tank, somewhat similar to the color of the film backing. (could this be related?)
    --there were no leaks from the tank body or lid.
    Chaim
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the lettering on the edges did not come out, the film is completely clear. I hadn't noticed that.
    I am sure that I used the chemicals in the correct sequence.
    Thanks.
    Think again. What is now in your fixer bottle (after this little mix up) is now developer.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin