Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,258   Online: 1060

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Tri-X 400 film

Hi,
    i was wondering i could develop my kodak Tri-X 400 film as a dia.
    because i've heard some rumors but i'm not quite sure.
    if someone could help me out, i would be very gratefull

regards

Kiran

Images
    Good Afternoon, El Froggy,

In theory, you probably can. I know that Kodak offers a special kit for processing T-Max 100 into transparencies, but I have no idea if it would work well with other films.

I think that more satisfactory results can be obtained by developing the Tri-X as usual to get negatives. Then copy the negatives onto the finest-grain B & W film available to you to get the positives. The old Kodak High Contrast Positive worked well for this when developed in either D-19 or Dektol. I suspect that Technical Pan could be processed to give similar results, although at rather high cost considering that Tech Pan is now becoming hard to find.

It takes a little effort, but I find the negative to positive approach preferable since you can process the original film as you ordinarily would. Getting the positives is much akin to making prints: if you screw up on the first try, you can always try again. With the special reversal processing, you have only one shot at good results.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC a reversal kit is sold by Fotoimpex in Berlin. www.fotoimpex.de
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the T-Max Reversal Kit works just fine with other B&W films, though you'll probably have to experimentally adjust the first developer time. The Foma reversal kit works the same way -- again, you'll have to adjust the first dev time to get the correct contrast, and you'll probably have to shoot a few test rolls to get exactly the right combination of EI and first dev in either case (typically you'll have a higher EI when reversing a B&W negative material).

For that matter, you can make your own bleach, use plain sodium sulfite solution as a clearing bath after the bleach, and otherwise do the job with the same chemicals you're used to using. Main thing is to make sure you don't have a halogenating bleach -- potassium ferricyanide (Farmer's Reducer) is a bad choice, because it converts the image silver to a halide that will expose in reversal and then develop in the second dev, giving a solid black film. Potassium Dichromate, potassium permanganate, and copper sulfate, all in a weak sulfuric acid solution, have been used successfully with reversal processes. All clear nicely in sodium sulfite solution, IIRC at 2% strength.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin