Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,483   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dire news. Okay, it's not very good for us, but for anyone working at Agfa...

All the very best to the staff and their families. I hope some good somehow comes out of this for you.

I understand that the formula for Rodinal is fairly well known. With Agfa out of the frame is it possible that someone else will start to produce it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Isn't Efke or someone already manufacturing R09, based on an older Rodinal formula?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

At least I have 8 bottles left...When they are gone I have to go the XTOL way...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are they actually going out of business, or (at this stage) filing for protection? No idea what the laws are like in Germany, but in the USA there's a difference between Chapter 7 bankrupcy, which means the end of the company, and Chapter 11, which may be rescue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We'll have to wait and see which type of filing it is and if they are able to bounce back like Ilford did.

I would think that it might a good time for a shift to Pyrocat and minimal agitation, not Rodinal, but it is very sharp. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there are a few rodinal like devs out there made in eastern europe. I think some are available from retrophotographic in the UK - Original Adox brews I think. Moersch might even do some too.

APX100 would be very sad indeed. FP4 plus just is not the same.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    R09 is comming from Calbe Chemie (former Eastern Germany).

Alternative for Scala on 35 mm format will be the Fomapan R100 B&W slidefilm. A Foma developerkit is also available for this film (and development of also Scala).

Alternatives for APX100: FP4+, Fomapan 100, Acros, ....

Looking at the global market: Agfa-Photo must be reduced at a size and amount of employees like Ilford did. The question even rises if there is enough space on the analog film market.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think this is my fault, guys. I bought my first bottle of Rodinal last weekend, and was planning on opening it tomorrow to try out

Horrible news, both for fans of their products and staff working there. Hopefully they work their way through it like Ilford did. I think I might have to go buy some of the remaining stock the local store has tomorrow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotophox
    Are they actually going out of business, or (at this stage) filing for protection? No idea what the laws are like in Germany, but in the USA there's a difference between Chapter 7 bankrupcy, which means the end of the company, and Chapter 11, which may be rescue. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    The report is vague on details:
    <<Das Amtsgericht Köln hat ein vorläufiges Insolvenzverfahren eingeleitet. Der Kölner Anwalt Andreas Ringstmeier ist zum vorläufigen Insolvenzverwalter bestellt worden. Er muss nun prüfen, ob Agfa noch eine Chance hat zu überleben.>>
    There are no figures for assets versus liabilities - the article simply says that a provisional insolvency process has been initiated, that an administrator has been appointed and that he is exploring ways by which Afga could survive. This has been done by the Cologne District Court, presumably in response to a petition by creditors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sad news indeed. Bad news for the employees, a horrible situation to be in.

We need to wait and see what happens. If Agfa as a whole does go down, then hopefully somebody will buy up the profitable bits.

I'd be very surprised if somebody didn't pick up the Rodinal name considering it's cult status. I'm also sure some of the eastern manufactueres would love some of the Agfa lines and products.

But lets hope that a new Agfa emerges from the ashes of the old.

Mmmm, just as I was starting to get a taste for APX100.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin