Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,304   Online: 809

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my perspective, it seems that only parts of the sky are falling. Old line manufacturers, it seems to me, were caught by the disharmonic convergence of various market factors, including digital. Those who can restructure their overhead, preferably without legacy elements of that overhead, will do well with the new market reality. Those who can't, won't. But, I'm confident that enterprising capitalists will fill any viable void.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    We should not loose sight that be it bankruptcy, closing, or whatever the people who own these plants want to recoup some money, the only way to do so is by selling the machines.....what are film coating machines good for? who would buy them? I get the feeling that someone somewhere would buy them and continue making film. Hell, if I had the money I would, I think Mexico is a perfect place for making film, great weather, cheap labor and close to the US....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think they can be used for other purposes. I don't know if Ilford still offers custom coating services, but they were at one time.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been on a trip so maybe am not up-to-date on reports via APUG. However, look at this report on Kodak http://economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=3974772

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    We should not loose sight that be it bankruptcy, closing, or whatever .....
    what are film coating machines good for? who would buy them? I get the feeling that someone somewhere would buy them and continue making film. Hell, if I had the money I would, I think Mexico is a perfect place for making film, great weather, cheap labor and close to the US....
    Actually Jorge your entirely right . . . . as usual :-)

I live in a Carpet town, and my father ran a company that employed well over 4000+. It went into recievership 10+ years ago (my father had long retired, it was profitable but the owner went personally bankrupt, and it was too large for a competitor to take over) but all the looms are still working somewhere else. Another company closed and the entire palnt went to India.

So yes there's potential for coating plant to be bought cheap if companies do go and there are plenty of unemployed emulsion chemists around who have a wealth of experience.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with you Ian, things change but life continues.

Both in your area and the midlands as a whole have seen industries come and go, however many of the skills and products have not been lost from the market. They just have new names and are made in other parts of the world. I'm sure there will be plenty of places that will be more than happy to supply a market where there is a known demand.

Images
    There must be a lot of industrial film and paper making machinery coming onto the market, not to mention people, recently unemployed, with the expertise to operate it. Also an existing international distribution network.
    It would seem that someone could make something of that.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this gloom and doom.....I call this Photo Marketing Syndrom. PMS give it time and it too shall pass!
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    There must be a lot of industrial film and paper making machinery coming onto the market, not to mention people, recently unemployed, with the expertise to operate it. Also an existing international distribution network.
    It would seem that someone could make something of that.
    Sure. Given unlimited time and money, we can accomplish anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a way to make your own film and paper. There are people working on this to preserve our hobby.

Unfortunately, color is probably beyond the realm of possibility for us, but black and white films and papers matching those of the 30s and 40s are possible, perhaps even some from the 50s.

PE

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin