Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Possible Stupid Question Alert

I was looking at the Massive Developing chart to find a time for developing 120 TriX 320 in Xtol. They give two complete sets of quite different times, One for Tri-X 320 [TXP] and one for Tri-X 320 [TXP/TXT]. Maybe I'm being a bit thick on this holiday weekend but what is the difference?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has been some time since I´ve used Tri-X, but I remember two versions, the normal Tri-X and the Professional. They had a different exposure index and different development times.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TX is the 400 speed which is available in 35mm and 120. TXP is the 320 version in 120/220 and TXT is the sheet film version of the 320 speed version. TXP/TXP are supposed to have the same times, and TX is different. As to why there are two listings in the massive dev chart for TXP, I have no idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    they are two different films in many ways. it is an oddity that they have similar names.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    TXP is the 320 version in 120/220 and TXT is the sheet film version of the 320 speed version.
    And yet they give 120 and sheet film times for both [TXP] and [TXP/TXT]
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    And yet they give 120 and sheet film times for both [TXP] and [TXP/TXT]
    the massive chart is not good; there are many uninformed, nonreviewed recomendations and crude extrapolations based on 'similar' films which are not similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    the massive chart is not good; there are many uninformed, nonreviewed recomendations and crude extrapolations based on 'similar' films which are not similar.

true ...
    but aren't these published times &C just a bunch of starting points
    ... i always take these things with a very large grain of salt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am under the impression that TXP 320 "Professional" is tailored for studio use and is a lower contrast film. This would bear out with my experience in the field. If I use TXP on a scene that has 5 stops or less contrast - The neg will be so flat I will hardly be able to work with it. (I have not experimented with contrast expansion per se) I know that TXP in 120 at ASA 1600 is a wonderful film. The contrast is just right for the flat low light interior situations I am faced with from time to time. The grain when pushed in XTOL is wonderful. HP5 can also be used the same way but it doesn't have some of the apearant sharpness of the TXP. For contrast expansion - I stick to FP4+.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    ...One for Tri-X 320 [TXP] and one for Tri-X 320 [TXP/TXT]...
    As far as I knew... TXT was only code used for sheet film only. This was the OLD name. It's now been changed to TXP as well... (Sheet film is 320)

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

TX (35mm 400)

TX (120 400) version 1
    TXP (120 320) version 2

TXT/TXP (4x5, 8x10 320)

Images
    This is from the chart

.......Film...............Developer....Dilution..A SA/ISO...120...Sheet....Temp

Tri-X 320 [320TXP]....Xtol..........stock.....320........7.75.....6. ........20C

and further down in the list:
    Tri-X 320 [TXP/TXT]..Xtol.........stock.....320.........6.25.....6.5. .....20C

There are similar descrepancies between [TXP] and [TXP/TXT] at other dilutions and EIs
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin