Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,238   Online: 1027

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Microphen Question

I have some Microphen mixed up and stored in plastic bottles, which I squeezed until there was no air in them before tightening the caps. The date on the caps is Feb 10 of this year... Should I risk using it? Or is it a case of better losing some old microphen than a roll of film? Thanks for your help,

Peter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally I have found that Microphen (and other stock solutions) keep fine in full tightly sealed bottles for at least 6 months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must second that.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What you really want are glass bottles that you can squeeze the air out of! Most plastics wil let air in and in time will ruin the dev. I use glass bottles and fill up the extra space with glass marbles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If using glass bottles, make sure the caps are made of PET or PVC: the usual LDPE or HDPE caps are not sufficiently gas tight, or make a PVC seal to fit inside the cap. Cling-film is usually PVC and can apparently be used even though it is very thin (ref: http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/plastic.html).

Stock solutions spoil faster than concentrates, but I have had stock ID-11 in 2 litre fizzy drink bottles (PET) be fine for 12 months. Not tried microphen, but I would expect it is fine after only 3 months.

Cheers, Bob.

I have found Microphen stock solution has quite remarkable keeping quality; I usually buy a large pack, mix it up and put them in smaller bottles, say half-litre ones, and they last for years with no adverse effect at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One more thing, if in doubt, do a test roll before committing anything important.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin