Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,684   Online: 721

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Got myself my first tank!

This weekend I've been to my parents and talked photo with my father at the expense of everyone else's patience, but he gave me an old Brooks stainless steel tank with reel, for 120. We've tried it over the weekend, on APX100 and Rodinal 1+25, and I just love the steel reel, finding it surprisingly easy to load--I've only used Paterson before.

Now the big question: I just bought a 35mm reel to use with it, but as I'm a cheapskate I didn't bother buying two right now. So how the hell am I going to prevent the single reel from moving constantly in the 120 tank?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    So how the hell am I going to prevent the single
    reel from moving constantly in the 120 tank?
    I don't worry about it wiith the one reel of 120 I process
    in my 2 reel 120 tank. One, two, or three inversions then
    let it sit one, two, or three minutes.

The greater solution volume will give you the chance to
    work with the more dilute compensating developers. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See if you have something plastic or stainless steel around the same length req'd laying around the house.
    Or you could break out the wallet and get another one anyway. I mean they are not that expensive and you could process 2 rolls together. You'll recoup the $ on dev/stop/fix chems in the long run. (yea right, but it's what I tell myself )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    I don't worry about it wiith the one reel of 120 I process
    in my 2 reel 120 tank. One, two, or three inversions then
    let it sit one, two, or three minutes.

The greater solution volume will give you the chance to
    work with the more dilute compensating developers. Dan

Does the extra movement of the reel inside the liquid should cause any concern in terms of negative contrast? I.e. more agitation--more contrast?

I was just thinking about using a big magnet at the bottom to hold everything together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really, it'll actually help with agitation and you'll have to adjust your processing/exposures for this. Just consider it part of your processing.
    I don;t think a magnet will help very much, SS is not very magnetic

Does the extra movement of the reel inside the liquid should cause any concern in terms of negative contrast? I.e. more agitation--more contrast?

I was just thinking about using a big magnet at the bottom to hold everything together.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the single reel sliding back and forth along with the developer, you could get surge streaks around the sprocket holes, or effectively less aggitation (due to the film moving with the developer), or something in between these extremes. But, the effect is likely to be inconsistent between rolls.

Get the second reel, put the empty one on top, fill the tank, and your consistency will improve.

For 35mm reels, I strongly recommend the Hewes reels, which have cleats to grab the sprocket holes, rather than the center clip. They make loading far easier.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with rbarker on this one. Cut a piece of PVC pipe or buy and cut a coupling to slip over the center rod and hold the reel in place or buy a second reel. I was also going to recommend the Hewes reels both in 35 and 120, available from Calumet. Not cheap, but load better than others and are heavier duty, and don't bend and become hard to load. I have several reels abused by former owners that are difficult to load because of slight bends.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Put your plastic reel on top of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now the big question: I just bought a 35mm reel to use with it, but as I'm a cheapskate I didn't bother buying two right now. So how the hell am I going to prevent the single reel from moving constantly in the 120 tank?
    Put marbles on the bottom? Rocks? Old film canisters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I'm with rbarker on this one. Cut a piece of PVC pipe or buy and cut a coupling to slip over the center rod and hold the reel in place or buy a second reel. I was also going to recommend the Hewes reels both in 35 and 120, available from Calumet. Not cheap, but load better than others and are heavier duty, and don't bend and become hard to load. I have several reels abused by former owners that are difficult to load because of slight bends.

Lee
    Sound idea, I'll see if it ends up cheaper than buying another reel, otherwise I guess I'll just have to wait until my pocket change gets higher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin