Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,146   Online: 837

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freestyle's sale of the film under the Arista.EDU Ultra brand, at the price they're getting, is the reason I mentioned my worries about the continued viability of the company. The last two companies that Freestyle (as well as some other retailers) re-packaged film from were Ilford and Forte, and both companies ended up in financial trouble. In both cases the re-sale of their film at very low price points to retailers was indicated as a reason for their financial problems. I appreciate the ability to get the Fomapan so inexpensively, but I do worry that in another year we'll be looking at another film company that's sinking because they sold their product too cheaply.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and Foma will be able to flourish at the price points that have been set with Freestlye. But you can bet that I'll be stocking up on Fomapan 200...I like the film too much to take the chance with losing it quickly.

Regarding the curliness of the Fomapan film: I've begun weighting the bottom of my 120 rolls as they dry and making sure that they dry slower by keeping the humidity level up a bit in my drying cabinet, and the curl is definately less than when I used to dry it faster and with less weight on the bottom. The pages still need a day or two under a book before they're truly flat, though.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those of you who presoak your films, do you see any other advantages by doing so and do you adjust the developing time because of the presoak?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A presoak can promote more even development, but it's not always necessary. I usually add about 30 sec. to the processing time if I presoak.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Local price:

FOMAPAN 200/35 mm x 30.5 bm
    Katalogové číslo:11339
    Cena: 720 Kč
    Popis: černobílý negativní film

Eur. 22,50 which is about US$ 27,00
    so I hope that they know what they are doing..........

T200 is very nice in SPUR HRX(2) on E.I. 100.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    Wow lots of comments. The mention of grain. How does it compare to HP5+/Tri-x ?. The blue tint. Same as or worse to remove than Tri-x/T-max ?.
    Anyone comment on fixer capacity, as Tri-x/T-max "eat up" the fixer more than other films. How does this one compare ?. The curling issue must be roll film, how about sheet film, compared to other popular brands.

I like the mention of the "old time look". That suites me fine as I only have one format, looking for one film, and one vision, 1940's. I still think radios should have tubes, or valves as our friends across the atlantic call them.

I noted some people mentioned the roll film was harder to puncture. I seen on Foma web site that the 120 roll film is polyester base, as is the sheet film.
    That's a plus as not even Kodak or Ilford use polyester in roll film. The 35mm is tri-acetate.

This film looks promising. From their web site the company is not a fly by night operation, and perhaps offers a long term product.

Jennifer

Images
    Good Evening, Jennifer,

I haven't used any Tri-X lately; I understand that it is somewhat improved now. The Fomapan200 has, in my opinion, finer, tighter grain than the Tri-X I used before the advent of T-100 and T-400. As to blue tint, I don't recall ever having much tint with fixed and washed Kodak or Ilford films. As I indicated above, I don't regard the blue tint as any kind of problem; it doesn't seem to affect prints in any way, at least on MGIV or Polymax RC. As an "old style" film, it should not deplete the fixer capacity as much as the T-Max films, but I certainly haven't tried to do any testing. Haven't tried the sheet film or the 35mm, but the curling is a definite problem for 120.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Is this blue tint unique to the Fomapan 100, or has it been spotted in other speeds? I've not yet used any 100, but I have used 200 (packaged as Paterson Acupan) and 400 (packaged both as Fomapan 400 and Arista.EDU Ultra). I don't recall noting any blue tint. In fact, I've got a roll of Arista.EDU Ultra 400 in front of me that I processed today, and in a sulfite-free developer (a PC-TEA variant with p-aminophenol hydrochloride rather than phenidone) and sulfite-free fixer (Freestyle's Arista Premium Powdered fixer). I see no hint of blue in these negatives.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    This is sounding better, and better . Mongo expressed concern about cheap pricing, and doing harm to Foma. If you compare the Foma branded roll film against Ilford, it costs more !. The 4x5 sheet film is only a few dollars less than HP5+. It seems their pricing is inline, and not cut rate to flood the market. As the re-branded price, it makes me wonder how. Could there be a difference in material. Perhaps the base is acetate, QC not as stringent ?. I'm just theorizing on how, or why a price difference.

Jennifer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    If you compare the Foma branded roll film against Ilford, it costs more !
    Well, that depends on where you buy it from. JandC sells Foma for significantly less than FreeStyle sells either Foma or Ilford, but for more than FreeStyle sells the Arista.EDU Ultra. In fact FreeStyle's prices for Foma-labeled film seem very high compared to everyone elses price for the film.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    As an "old style" film, it should not deplete the fixer capacity as much as the T-Max films, but I certainly haven't tried to do any testing.
    I haven't shot enough of this film to know about the fixer capacity issue, but my impression is that it is a T-grain film like T-max. It used to be sold as "Fomapan 200T," but as I understand it, conflict with Kodak caused them to change the name. The strange thing is that it looks like a much older style film, despite being new technology.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin