Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,883   Posts: 1,520,516   Online: 812

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

cutting and storing negatives. (methodes)

I am starting to know my film but the negatives I still need to print, or worth saving are piling.

I used to save my negs in envelopes but discovered the paper gives a very fine dust to the negs. The photoshop has some of these special neg covers but I find them way to expensive. So how do you guys store your negatives.

And is there a simple trick to cut straight? I don't like the idea of placing them on a table and put something straight on it and use a knife. (scratching/dust etc) but simple scissers are hard tools to get straight negs.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

cheers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    The photoshop has some of these special neg covers but I find them way to expensive. So how do you guys store your negatives.

Well, since the Negative is what you invest a lot of money in (you buy good equipment, good film, process it well... I would (and I do) invest in good neg covers. Use acidfree slipcovers, store your negatives in a good dust-free place. It's worth it...

Best,

Onno

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I store mine in the negative sleeves available at the photo stores. Light Impressions may have them cheaper, you can check their website here: http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...OnlineShopping

As for cutting, I use scissors (the Fiskar type) to cut my negs. I have a light table that I hold the negatives over when cutting.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine are cut with scissors while hanging up after drying and go straight into archival clear plastic sleeves. I used to use the archival paper ones but find I can do contact index prints straight through the plastic sort.

I store the sleeves in a lever arch file... which is now full...!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am not a guy; however, i will speak up, I use the archival ones, along with a very good pair of scissors with about 10inche blades, which increases the "luck " with cutting the negatives straight.

A straight edge and blade would cut the top of the light table.

I would suggest not throwing away negatives, as with time and experience you may find something that does not appeal to you today, may do so in a few years

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So maybe there is a reason why they sell those storage sleeves... I'll go for them after all. And I probably just need a bit more patientce while cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by ann
    I am not a guy; however, i will speak up,
    I am sorry Ann... It's too common in dutch to use the guys for more than one person even if there are gilrs amongst. But next time I'll use 'girls' instead of guys in that line, and see how the men respond
    Even women use 'guys' when no guys are around btw, I recently heard that when walking by a group of four girls talking to each other, it sounded rather wierd.

cheers!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    interesting, in my world, the women never speak of women as guys, and i agree it does sound a bit wierd.

good luck with your negative storage project.

i have also discovered that it is best to organize yourself from the very first roll. It is amazing how much time it takes to find something when randomly stored.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Quentin,

I will give you some advice on saving money on those archival storage pages. Throw away the negatives you don't want to print. This takes great strength of character. To date I have not been able to do this, but I'm getting stronger.<g>

Neal Wydra

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would disagree with Neal and the suggest to throw out the negatives you don't want to print, time and space may give you different thoughts about your negative.

As a point of referrence, i just printed a negative made in the 60's; at the time i wasn't h appy with it, but earlier in the year with reviewing old negatives decided to print this one, and was very happy with the results. In fact, the feed back and success of this negative more than made up for the space it took to keep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    I would disagree with Neal and the suggest to throw out the negatives you don't want to print, time and space may give you different thoughts about your negative.

As a point of referrence, i just printed a negative made in the 60's; at the time i wasn't h appy with it, but earlier in the year with reviewing old negatives decided to print this one, and was very happy with the results. In fact, the feed back and success of this negative more than made up for the space it took to keep.
    Whow from the 60's I've only just really started with film and already have loads of negs that will be something in 40 years from now
    But I found an alternative, there are very cheap paper storage sleaves from hama, I bought enough for 200 rolls so I will be safe for a while.

But this is a good point over digital, I've recently had a broken HD and about 200 proper pictures where gone in a flash, with this the house should burn down and even then I would run for my negs and warn the neighbours afterwards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin