Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,234   Online: 734

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expired Film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak says that the film that Mallory and Irvine had on Everest in 1924 might still have printable images on it; that's if the camera were to be found. If 1924 film might still have images, then the '70's should be lookin' *DYNOMITE*!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim, given that film has probably seldom if ever been above freezing in the intervening 80 years, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the images were still recoverable. In fact, the only special precaution I'd take is to clip a few frames from the beginning of the roll to test before committing the rest, and to use a low-fog developer with a high tolerance like my usual high dilution HC-110 (yeah, I know, even D-76 wasn't around yet in 1924, but HC-110 will work on any silver halide material, except possibly collodion wet plates). I'd also be very tempted to develop by inspection under a red safelight, since their film was most likely orthochromatic...

I've developed a couple rolls of my own film, recently, that were shot around 1980, and a roll of Kodacolor II from the same time frame, with generally good results.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin