Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,145   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expired Film

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Expired Film

just did a deep dive into my fridger freezer and pulled a couple of large freezer bags containing a bunch of old film:

4x5 Sheet Film
    --------------
    Agfapan 25 2 boxes 07/1989
    Agfapan 100 2 boxes 07/1990
    Agfapan 200 1 box 07/1989
    Agfapan 400 2 boxes 01/1985
    Kodak TechPan 2 boxes 03/1985 & 02/1988

120 Roll-Film
    ------------
    Agfapan 25 2 rolls 01/1987
    Agfa Ortho 25 5 rolls 01/1984
    Agfapan 100 Matt (Portrait Film) 8 rolls 01/1980
    Efke R14 15 rolls 03/1990
    Efke R17 5 rolls 03/1990

Any other film pack rat'ers like me?

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've got 300-odd feet of Double-X 35mm cine stock that I'm guessing must date from the 1970s. It's kind of interesting for grainy effects. Lots of other outdated stuff in there too.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad you didn't hoard more APX25 and TechPan, Mike. You could make a fortune on eBay.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately I am not, but if you would like to seed my collection with some of the Agfa 100 sheets, that might just do the trick.

I have been back in photography for only a couple of years, I imagine that after another 10 or so years, I will have some oldies in my fridge too!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not really a pack rat, more of a bottom feeder. I've got a bulk roll of Tri-X in the freezer that expired in 2001. Its twin, rolled into cassettes last summer, has been going along very well without excessive fog or any notable loss of speed, so I'm happy with getting the two rolls for less than a single new bulk roll would have cost. Likewise, I have two boxes (50 sheets each) of TXT 9x12 cm that I got from J&C Photo, expired in mid-2004 (clearly labeled expired, discounted -- J&C are honest folks). I paid a bit less than half retail for them, and I'm very, very happy. One box is in the freezer, the other with my plate cameras.

And I've got some Kirkland Signature ISO 400 C-41 that I bought more than ten years ago, and was stored at room temp most of the time -- still works just fine (processed a couple rolls last week, satisfying myself that the Vivitar P&S I just appropriated was worth feeding).

No big quantities of anything, though -- I can't spend $200 to $500 or even more on a single film order like some folks do, I pretty much buy it as I use it.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some 4x5 Kodak HIE, 3 boxes dated 3/1977 and 3 more dated 9/2001.
    I also have a 120 or 620 (not sure off the top of my head) roll of Verichrome Pan dated Sept. 1959.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I only got some slighty old colour film (c41) and some really old slide film (some Kodak ISO 64).

Morten

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I forgot, I have 5 rolls of Kodachrome 25 in my refrigerator which expired in 1/2003 (I think).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Donald...more of a bottom feeder. I think that I've only bought four or five rolls of unexpired bw film in the past 2-3 years. I just bought some TMax that expired three or four years ago...seems fine. I'm just finishing up the last of ten rolls of FP5+ that expired about a year ago and I've got about 18 rolls of FP3200 that went out this past February. 40 rolls of 120 Fugi NC 400 (06/04) and forty rolls of Konica 160 220 that might be 18 months past fresh. I even picked up a roll of 100 feet of Portra 160 (VC?) that expired last year (haven't shot any of that yet).

I don't have paying clients, so I'm the only one that gets excited if something gets fogged. And I'm just too damned cheap to pay retail for the stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there are bottom feeders out there, then I must join the ranks. I have some 50 year old Kodak 4x5 Super Panchro Press 125 (2boxes), and Kodak 4x5 Panatomic-X (1 box) equally old, and a box or two of Plus-X 4x5 from the early 1970s.
    It's fun and adds an unexpected element to the chemical procedure. I have some paying customers, but they are not exposed to that element of surprise, since all I ever use for those purposes are FP4+, and Agfa APX-100/400, fresh as can be. Whenever I can, though, I'm cheap, but like Joey, it's only to my own detrement.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin