Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,388   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pkerr
    I don't see any online information. I think they want you to buy at least one issue of the magazine. Highly recommeded.

It was in the June 2005 issue. £2,300 of prizes. That's about $5,000US I think.
    It was also in the May issue, so anybody who's a month or two or three behind should look for that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I received a quick reply from Aisla. She wasn't aware that 12x16 was uncommon in other parts of the universe. She also said that 11x14 would be okay but add a note that it's not easily available in your area.

Now, I may have stirred up some competition. Darn.

Good luck all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    So what is the contest about?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    So what is the contest about?
    It's not for you Jorge... requirements include negatives NO LARGER than APS size , and NO contact prints allowed.

Uh oh... here comes the posse! And I was hoping it would be a nice and quiet competition with all the big guns somewhere else.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Large Format
    That is ok Niko, I have 35 mm, I can always crop to APS size...

I am just curious...I have no plans to enter, from what I understand the prices are in merchandise and digital cameras, stuff that I dont need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thankfully, although digital prints are accepted, the prizes are either film based (main prize is a Mamiya 7II, Ilford tokens) or non-specific (Sekonic L308s and Billingham Hadley bags).

Categories are a bit complicated in that only the "Portfolio" category (4 prints) is eligible for the main prize. Other categories are: People; Places; Still Life & Abstract - all one print each - and Black and White Printer of The Year - one print showing off printing skills...

One strange thing: "Entries must not be in tubes. Entries sent this way will be returned." Storage problems?

Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Bob, heck if I needed a MF camera I think this would be a great contest to enter. The Mamiya 7 II is an excellent camera! If anybody from APUG enters, I wish you all luck..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.

One strange thing: "Entries must not be in tubes. Entries sent this way will be returned." Storage problems?

Bob.
    Looking problems more like. Have you ever tried to unroll a 16x12 fibre long enough to look at it?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good point: hadn't though of that! After 2 weeks in a tube working its way through the post office, you'd need a dumbbell at each corner ...

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not email the editor, she is a member of this forum.

Simply point out that 16"x12" is not a size normally available in north America, which she almost certainly doesn't realise. As others have said its a European size, 11"x14" is very rare here in the UK.

It isn't fair to expect you to use papers you don't normally use, or to have to buy far larger paper to cut down.

So go ask :-)

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin