Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,262   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Dektol & plastic ?

Has anyone had a problem with Dektol eating away a plastic storage jug?

I had a big jug of Dektol under the bench that I should have discarded months ago. Today I discovered the jug was leaking and the Dektol had eaten into the tiles under it.

I never had trouble with Dektol in plastic before. Maybe the jug let go, but seeing the way Dektol ate into the tiles, I am wondering if it ate a hole in the jug.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had some in a 2lt plastic bottle (was Apple juice I believe... labels were removed) for several years... and it was ok, the the Dektol just kept getting darker!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never heard of Dektol reacting with plastic (though the accordion bottles are known to be excessively permeable for developer storage anyway). Much less have I heard of Dektol eating into flooring tiles! Are you sure that was Dektol and not a sodium hydroxide stock solution or similar?

Dektol has carbonate alkali, as I recall, so it's not alkaline enough to do much even in stock solution (or even if you mix your stock solution in a lot less water than the package calls for, as some folks do); I wouldn't expect it to attack even marble tile, much less plastic or rubber (and if you have something attacking ceramic tile, call a Hazmat team ASAP).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jane
    Has anyone had a problem with Dektol eating away a plastic storage jug?

I had a big jug of Dektol under the bench that I should have discarded months ago. Today I discovered the jug was leaking and the Dektol had eaten into the tiles under it.

I never had trouble with Dektol in plastic before. Maybe the jug let go, but seeing the way Dektol ate into the tiles, I am wondering if it ate a hole in the jug.
    Developers like D-76 and Dektol, are best kept in brimful brown glass bottles that are well stoppered. Used medicine bottles with child proof caps are ideal, so don`t discard them. Make sure the bottles are clearly labelled too.
    Plastic storage jugs? UGH!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
    Developers like D-76 and Dektol, are best kept in brimful
    brown glass bottles that are well stoppered.
    Plastic storage jugs? UGH!
    I'll second that. Be sure they have the Polycone or Polyseal
    Caps; the most sure way to seal. Tri Ess Sciences did sell
    those amber Boston Rounds and a nice selection of caps.
    Alas they have gone out of business. Chalk one up for
    free lunch crowd. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the jug thats perished.

Some plastics perish naturally others are designed to be biodegradeable, highly unlikely to have been the Dektol

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some plastics display surface tension stress when in contact with certain tensoactive ingredients, alcohols and other chemicals. This surface interaction with these chemicals leads to premature ageing of the polymer and surface cracks. As these cracks progress, the bottles start to leak. Depending on the plastic, different products may cause this undesirable effect. It usually shows up when someone pours something into a container which the containerīs manufacturer never considered when testing the bottle (like Dektol into an apple juice bottle).
    I work with the plastics industry. I always use brown glass bottles.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes you're possibly right but Dektol will only aggrevate this in a plastic not designed for a reasonable life span and not one made for storing photographic chemicals, particularly as chemicals are usually stored in low light lvels.

I have seen plenty of plastic measuring jugs fail, I'm still using plastic bottles Ilford, May & Baker, Johnsons etc some of which must be 30+ years old, I've never had one fail.

More importantly it's the type of plastic used, and how it's stored.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rockstroh
    Some plastics display surface tension stress when in contact with certain tensoactive ingredients, alcohols and other chemicals. This surface interaction with these chemicals leads to premature ageing of the polymer and surface cracks. As these cracks progress, the bottles start to leak. Depending on the plastic, different products may cause this undesirable effect. It usually shows up when someone pours something into a container which the containerīs manufacturer never considered when testing the bottle (like Dektol into an apple juice bottle).
    I work with the plastics industry. I always use brown glass bottles.

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I've got a couple of relevant bookmarks. First, some information on plastics for storing developers. I'm not really qualified to offer an opinion on this information, but it seemed credible when I read it. Second, Specialty Bottle, a supplier of bottles. I've never actually ordered from them, but they seemed to have a good selection.

FWIW, I've been using ~1l glass IBC root beer bottles whenever I make more than 1l of solution and then splitting that into smaller glass bottles whenever I open one of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Yes you're possibly right but Dektol will only aggrevate this in a plastic not designed for a reasonable life span and not one made for storing photographic chemicals, particularly as chemicals are usually stored in low light lvels.

I have seen plenty of plastic measuring jugs fail, I'm still using plastic bottles Ilford, May & Baker, Johnsons etc some of which must be 30+ years old, I've never had one fail.

More importantly it's the type of plastic used, and how it's stored.

Ian
    Ian,

You made a good point. I spoke with some plastic suppliers and all agreed that 30 years ago, since resins were so much cheaper, manufacturers used much better materials and, also used additives to improve the quality of their bottles. Contemporary manufacturers unfortunately donīt adhere to that business philosophy anymore.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin