Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,743   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Pyrocat is a relatively new developer. Film testing is in order. tim

If i'm not mistaken it came out in 1999 so in the grand scheme of things your right Tim. It just seems that there's not much cohesive or detailed info available for a developer that's been out for six years and seems to get favorable reviews.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yep, I totally agree. See the previous thread I started below.
    Come on people get off your bumz, do some testing and submit some times!!

[PHP]http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15459[/PHP]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    What is the effect on developing times in general as film is increasingly overexposed and 2nd, as the solution is changed to using a higher concentration of "B'' stock? say 1:1:100 vs 1:1.5:100 vs 1:2:100.
    I ask as I am trying to figure out what kind of times in Pyrocat to try for a roll of Fuji 1600 shot at 640. (It's my exploratory trip for a using a faster film, and I chose Fuji 1600) Would doubling the water give me a greater window of opportunity? I'd try stand development but read that fast films are not good developed this way.Thoughts?
    In my article at unblinkingeye.com there are development times for quite a number of films in the last page of the article. These times are for graded silver papers (blue channel analysis) and alternative processes (UV analysis). I have also provided much more specifc times for AZO with a number of films on the AZO forum.

Unfortuantely I am at "camp" right now and don't have access to any data files. However, the basic dilution for silver papers is 1:1:100, for AZO and UV processes 2:2:100. VC silver papers are more complicated, but in general try using the 2:2:100 dilution and decreasing times about 20% from those recommended for AZO.

For very long times of development I recommend increasing the amount of A solution relative to the B solution. This will minimize oxidation and the development of general stain. For example, instead of a 2:2:100 dilution, use 3:2:100.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One problem I've found with using other people's times is that it doesn't work very well. A starting point is handy, but the best way to do this is to do your own tests and then work from there. There are too many variables in processing, light and exposure to have a be-all end-all number to use. This is not to say that a time from a chart is not going to work, but a simple time won't give you any solution to a more difficult exposure & development situation. Minus and plus development still need fine tuning to be correct. tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    my gut feeling (complete guess!) is that you could have trouble getting 640 from the film in pyrocat. My experiences of this dev when used to produce negs for silver enlargement is lower speeds than ID11/D76 and much lower than DDX. highlights.

Just thoughts...
    Well I was hopeing to find one developer to use for anything, and that gave me decent speeds, but it looks like it just isn't going to happen unless I switch to something else and give up the attributes of Pyrocat. That may not be a big deal overall. Maybe I'll go back to Xtol.

Since I've got two 35mm test rolls to develop I'll have data available soon on the combination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Well I was hopeing to find one developer to use for anything, and that gave me decent speeds, but it looks like it just isn't going to happen unless I switch to something else and give up the attributes of Pyrocat. That may not be a big deal overall. Maybe I'll go back to Xtol.

Since I've got two 35mm test rolls to develop I'll have data available soon on the combination.
    There are alot of very good reasons to use pyrocat so I would not give up so easily! I decided a while ago that whilst pyrocat would be my main dev for 120 and LF, for some uses and all 35mm, I would use a 'normal dev'. I have been using DDX just to see what it is like and I can see why many like it. Great speed (I reckon fp4 plus is comfortably over 125 for street use where you want some good blacks!), fine grain and convenient. I just think it is a rip off at 1:4 (even 1:7 or 1:9), hence my move to start experiemnting with FX39, which provides goos speed and acutance. I also love Aculux 2 for the ffine yet crisp grain and wonderful tonality. As 35mm processing tends to be so simple (no N-, N+ times etc) why not use something else for your 1600 neopan....assuming it does not give you 640, as it may well do so?.

Which formats do you shoot?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    As 35mm processing tends to be so simple (no N-, N+ times etc) why not use something else for your 1600 neopan....assuming it does not give you 640, as it may well do so?.

Which formats do you shoot?
    I shoot 35mm thru 120, and lately 4x5 with some PL100. I have a hard time with a 100 speed film, dof, filtering and wind in south florida with 4x5 film. My move to shoot 35mm this last week came about as a test for a fast film for mostly day and some night shooting in a light traveling kit. I also wanted to see the atributes of the Fui 1600. I may very well go back to Delta 400, but in 35mm this time as I shot up all my 4x5 Delta 400 stock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin