Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,002   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Trying to figure out Pyrocat times.

What is the effect on developing times in general as film is increasingly overexposed and 2nd, as the solution is changed to using a higher concentration of "B'' stock? say 1:1:100 vs 1:1.5:100 vs 1:2:100.
    I ask as I am trying to figure out what kind of times in Pyrocat to try for a roll of Fuji 1600 shot at 640. (It's my exploratory trip for a using a faster film, and I chose Fuji 1600) Would doubling the water give me a greater window of opportunity? I'd try stand development but read that fast films are not good developed this way.Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Wayne, if you have not already done so, PM these questions to Sandy King.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Neopan1600 has a true speed of about 640, so you're not overexposing it. According to Fuji's pdf, it was designed to be developed in the same batch as Neopan 400 at the same dev time (I don't know if that is actually a universal truth for all developers, though).

FWIW, I develop Neopan400 in Pyrocat HD diluted (3mL + 3mL + 500mL) for 17 min with minimal agitation, so that might work for your Neopan1600.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    Neopan1600 has a true speed of about 640, so you're not overexposing it. According to Fuji's pdf, it was designed to be developed in the same batch as Neopan 400 at the same dev time (I don't know if that is actually a universal truth for all developers, though).

FWIW, I develop Neopan400 in Pyrocat HD diluted (3mL + 3mL + 500mL) for 17 min with minimal agitation, so that might work for your Neopan1600.
    John it sounds at least like a starting time. What's your agitation like?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a water bath for 3min first. Without it, I used to sometimes get some small discs of undedevelopment. Don't understand it really, since I haven't had an air bell for very many years. But the pre rinse solves it.

I agitate the developer by inversion for the first 2 min, then every 3min I give 2 inversions, fairly gentle, just enough to redistribute the developer. I use 500mL for one film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wayne to answer your first question, overexposing film will enable you to reduce development times in order to compress the exposure scale. You will boost the shadow values so they have enough exposure to print well, then reduce development times to bring back what would be blown highlights with normal development.

My post this weekend of the Juniper & Oak trees is an example of this relationship. The exposure was 2 minutes 30 seconds (for shadow exposure, bellows, reciprocity, etc.) and development was reduced quite a bit to bring down the highlights. Otherwise, the part of the shot in the "V" would have been pure paper white without any substance. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my gut feeling (complete guess!) is that you could have trouble getting 640 from the film in pyrocat. My experiences of this dev when used to produce negs for silver enlargement is lower speeds than ID11/D76 and much lower than DDX. I have used DDX at 800 with neopan 1600 and it is fine like this...about right (I do Fp4 plus at 64). 640 might therefore be a touch underexposed for pyrocat. FWIW I did quite a bit of 1600 and 400 neopan a fortnight back and whilst I have not got my records in front of me I recall the neopan 400 having a longer dev time. For UK light/contrast levels I have found the following OK:

Neopan 400 @400 in DDX 1:4 20 degs C for 7 mins
    Neopan 1600 @800 in DDX for 5.5 mins

Above times are approx.
    Normally faster films have longer dev times but according to DDX instructions it is less for the 1600. The 1600 came out lower in contrast but with reasonable shadow detail . So far I have had nicely exposed, surprisingly fine grained negs from Neopan 1600, but thats prob due to using a good speed increasig dev and keeping dev time sane. Bear in mind that overcast UK weather does not produce much highlights. If using in contrasty cconditions, beware!!!! I think lots have trouble with 1600 as they rate it as 1600, use a non-speed increasing dev and then dev the hell out of it to get the shadow speed thus blowing the highlights.

Just thoughts...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a side note how come there isn't some sort of comprehensive list giving ballpark times for different films with this developer? Being as popular as it is it seems that info on Pyrocat is very vague and haphazardly listed. I only ask because I am anticipating a delivery of Pyrocat HD from the Formulary and have been having trouble finding consistent times listed for APX 100 and Plus-X for 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pyrocat is a relatively new developer. Film testing is in order. tim

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    On a side note how come there isn't some sort of comprehensive list giving ballpark times for different films with this developer? Being as popular as it is it seems that info on Pyrocat is very vague and haphazardly listed. I only ask because I am anticipating a delivery of Pyrocat HD from the Formulary and have been having trouble finding consistent times listed for APX 100 and Plus-X for 35mm.
    I've noticed that too. Perhaps we should be making submissions to the Massive Development Chart. I have only developed Maco 820c IR and Tri-X sheet films with Pyrocat so far. Haven't had the time to make any prints, with this whole business with my home computer being upgraded at the moment. Tearing up the house looking for one !@#$%^& computer program CD hasn't helped, either.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin