Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,528   Posts: 1,543,953   Online: 1074

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

50 year old print and water stain

Hey, a friend from work had a flood in her apartment over the weekend and nothing too bad, but she is the most upset about an approximately 50 year old portrait of her grandmother that got nasty water stains on it. I have not seen this print but she describes it as kinda thick, but kinda bendy, and black and white. (her words not mine) Question. Can I re-soak this to remove the water stains? what about re-fixing? Is there any way I can help her get this picture back?? I don't want someone to redo it on their computer, because that is just wrong....

Thanks,
    Will

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wbryant
    Hey, a friend from work had a flood in her apartment over the weekend and nothing too bad, but she is the most upset about an approximately 50 year old portrait of her grandmother that got nasty water stains on it. I have not seen this print but she describes it as kinda thick, but kinda bendy, and black and white. (her words not mine) Question. Can I re-soak this to remove the water stains? what about re-fixing? Is there any way I can help her get this picture back?? I don't want someone to redo it on their computer, because that is just wrong....

Thanks,
    Will
    At this point with the present water stains, I doubt resoaking the print will do any harm. You should not need to refix, but I would recommend using photo flo in the rinse mainly to remove any dirt.

Good luck, and I agree with you, redoing in the pc is just wrong..

Shooter
    Large Format
    personally i would scan the image first. Just as a backup. then rewash the picture in your standard temperature water. keep an eye on it, and handel it very carefully. i would air dry, then flatten under heat if necessary.

the reason for the scan is obvious. if the image falls apart you will have something to fall back on.

S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is an important photograph, see if you can find someone who does old time photo restoration. A nice 4x5 copy negative, produced by a skilled technician, using filters and specialized film (if it is still available) is probably still better than a midling scanner. One caveat though - the last time I worked with someone who was a true artist with this sort of work was at least 25 years ago!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin