Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,063   Online: 832

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Uncompromising Artists

I have subscribed to Photo Techniques for years - starting back when it was called Darkroom Techniques. In the newest issue, there is an article entitled Condenser Versus Diffused Light by Jean-Christian Rosaggni. The article is interesting, if indecisive - but what I found interesting were the introductory words.

He acknowledges what most of the binary-benders must be thinking as they skimmed past the article with this statement:

"It might seem pointless to worry about this issue when so many have gone digital, but while I believe that digital has considerable merit, I also see that nothing is going to replace the dynamism of silver halide, fiber-based, black-and-white prints anytime soon, if ever. Silver is increasingly the domain of uncompromising artists, and it is consequently worth revisiting the fundamentals, including the quality of the enlarger's light source."

I found his descriptive word "uncompromising" to ring a resonant chord with me. I think this is why there is so much passion surrounding this issue. If digital posed no threat to the array of tools available to me, I would regard it as the logical evolution of APS......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get rid of the r, o, s, and n in his last name and you know why he has the thoughts he does about uncompromising.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Get rid of the r, o, s, and n in his last name and you know why he has the thoughts he does about uncompromising.
    That was quick!

Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds about right. It's interesting how there are people using historic wet processes from virtually every period in the history of photography, but when there are affordable full-frame 22Mpix DSLRs, will there be anyone ardently working away with 3.3 or 8 Mpix cameras, insisting that there was something about the 3.3 or 8 Mpix camera that represented a golden age?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin