Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,803   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gee, I have a few rolls of APX100 and a couple of 400... Maybe I should hold onto them as collectors items! LOL

Or better, I'll sell them for $50 a roll - yeah, that's the ticket!

Images
    www.7dayshop.com lots of agfa , lots of everything photographic for europeans

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    Indeed, but online stores are fine as well, I know there are some good ones, but forgot their names.

Above that there are many english users who might have a nice alternative film like apx. Ilford delta maybe? I am not sure about that though.

And (but this is a btw) I think the internet should be english all the way, don't you hate it when you visit a site right on the topic you're looking for and it's french? So I should stick to my principles and don't write dutch neither.
    Quinten,

have you tried Amsterdam based shops/labs like CapiLux, S-Color or Kleurgamma. Kleurgamma always had a nice stock in their fridge.

About your not writing Dutch: you may have a point there, but perhaps you should start this practice when you're a little more advanced in English?

And: learning different languages enriches your life and your mental capacities. BTW: as a European citizen you will soon be required to speak at least three different languages. Now French isn't my favorite either, but there are plenty others left...so take your pick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Quinten,

have you tried Amsterdam based shops/labs like CapiLux, S-Color or Kleurgamma. Kleurgamma always had a nice stock in their fridge.

About your not writing Dutch: you may have a point there, but perhaps you should start this practice when you're a little more advanced in English?

And: learning different languages enriches your life and your mental capacities. BTW: as a European citizen you will soon be required to speak at least three different languages. Now French isn't my favorite either, but there are plenty others left...so take your pick
    I am aware my english isn't as fine tuned as my dutch.. but this is great practise. (people should blow their horns more often as soon as they see mistakes though

I tried S-color, they couldn't get it anymore neither. That worried me. On the other hand I was told agfa just placed their production on 'halt' untill the future is planned. It's very likely that they will continue in some other form in the future. We will just have to wait and see since we can't do much more than speculating about it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    I am aware my english isn't as fine tuned as my dutch.. but this is great practise. (people should blow their horns more often as soon as they see mistakes though
    Your English might not be 'fine tuned', but it's not bad either. I think that if a person is going to communicate in English, they should at least try and do it right. There's a Polish ebay seller, and his English is SO bad I won't buy from him, as I can't figure out what he's trying to say in his terms. an example: "You must wait approx 2 months until do not realize him" I think he means you have to wait for 2 months for checks to clear, but I'm not sure, and as that's part of his 'boiler plate' I would certainly think he should have it correct. If I was going to list an item in Polish, (I don't speak Polish) I would certainly have somebody that's fluent in it translate my normal terms & conditions correctly, even if the description wasn't perfect, at least the terms would be clear!

-Mike

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    ... There's a Polish ebay seller, and his English is SO bad I won't buy from him, as I can't figure out what he's trying to say in his terms. an example: "You must wait approx 2 months until do not realize him" ...
    On the other hand there's a very fine Ukrainian ebay seller with the same kind of English usage. I have bought several things from him, and I won't hesitate to do so again.
    Sometimes it helps translating the "English" into poor German, and then into Norwegian. At least that is how I sometimes manage to figure it out!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    There's a Polish ebay seller, and his English is SO bad I won't buy from him, as I can't figure out what he's trying to say in his terms.
    -Mike
    When I read things like this, the maverick mind immediately reverses perspective and envisages the Polish eBayer saying:

There are these American buyers on eBay and their Polish is soo bad, they don't even speak a word of it - and then they expect our English to be perfect, whereas we only learnt Russian in school. Why wasn't German elected official language of the US, at least we could have managed that language...And to think of it, that it was only with a few votes difference in favor of the English language...

Ole, what Ukranian seller are you referring to? Is he worth recommending?

Perhaps we should set up translation services by European/multi-lingual APUG members for mono-lingual/English-speaking APUG members. To help eachother out on a friendly basis. Would you second that? It might even persuade more people to subscribe if you'd keep this for the subscribed community only. But I'm also fine with a totally free service in the true spirit of the web.

regards, Norm

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe there was an attempt to convert the USA to German during the 1940's. It ended poorly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I believe there was an attempt to convert the USA to German during the 1940's. It ended poorly.
    Don't I love this! APUG is such good fishing water....

isn't Senft a name with a German root?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    ...And to think of it, that it was only with a few votes difference in favor of the English language...
    It might be interesting to note the The US does not legally have an official language. For all practical purposes US English is the common tongue, but a legal document does not need to be written in English for it to be recognized.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin