Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,869   Posts: 1,583,298   Online: 1120

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Benzotriazole solution?

I used to purchase the 2% benzotriazole solution from Zone VI. Now that this is not available, I have purchased the powdered benzotriazole from photographers formulary. What is the ratio of powder to distilled water to obtain the 2% solution?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 2% solution would have 2g of benzotriazole in 100ml water.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gary the percentage solutions are based on metric measurements and ignore the form of the items being added together..dry versus wet..volume versus weight. If I have 100ml (A ) and I add 10 ml of a secondary solultion (B) then I have a 10% solution of B into A. If I have 100ml of A and I add 10 grams of B This is also considered a 10% solution. In terms of of only volume or of only weight the items may differ substantially from the sated percent..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Claire, your answer is a little incorrect. If you take 10 ml or 10 g of a chemical and dilute it UP TO 100 ml with water then it will be 10% but if you use 100 ml of water it will be less than 10%. Even this must be further defined as weight / vol or vol / vol.

If you weigh the total solution and bring it to 100 g then it becomes wt/wt or vol/wt.

For use, measuring out the solutions in which solvent is volumetric or weight based is done differently. This can be critical in some applications due to the density of different solvents or solutions.

Gary, the benzotriazole may need to be dissolved in alcohol. I don't believe that it dissolves well in water, but then I have not tried lately. I keep mine in either iso propyl alcohol or methyl alcohol.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For making a % solution I have found this article helpful:

http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathi...de/percent.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The maths problems go away if, instead of saying "percent", you get used to refering to it in terms of gram/Litre, and remember that the volume is that of the finished solution, not the amount of water (or other solvent).

So, my potassium bromide stock solution, which you might call "10%" is 100g/L. If I want a small amount, it is clearly 100mg/mL.

Benzotriazole will dissolve better in water with a bit of sodium sulphite which in most cases will not affect the developer since there will usually be much more sodium sulphite present anyway. Try 20g/L or 30g/L of sodium sulphite in your stock solution.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agreethat my posting lacks accuracy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have some old gently fogged Agfa paper on hand. I have the benzotriazole crystals but haven't a clue of how much I need to try and reduce the fog levels. Just need a normal start point from some one please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 0.2 grams of Benzotriazole per liter of developer is a good starting point.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    About 0.2 grams of Benzotriazole per liter of developer is a good starting point.
    Thanks Tom. Now back to the darkroom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin