Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,518   Online: 999

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    I do not have a car or any easy access to one so I have to bring the chemistry to the waste site by bus...not ideal with a 5 gallon container.

I wonder if I could leave the lid off outside in the summer and let 90% of the water disappear into the air and bring the "sludge" to the waste site. That would be easier, lighter and better for my back.
    I've heard of people doing this, but I've not done it myself. I'm not sure I'd do it in a completely open area, though, for a few reasons. First, you'd have to be careful to bring it in when it rains or rig some sort of enclosure to let the air circulate but keep the rain out, and either would be a hassle. Second, although this strikes me as unlikely, it's conceivable that an animal would try to drink from it. Third, it might get tipped over by an animal, the wind, etc. I'd expect an enclosed porch or even indoors would be better.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    I wonder if I could leave the lid off outside in the summer and let 90% of the water disappear into the air and bring the "sludge" to the waste site. That would be easier, lighter and better for my back.

Morten
    one summer when i got out of college i worked for a company as a sales rep visiting dental, vet and other sorts of doctors' offices that used x-ray machines. i was selling "ag-met evaporator units".
    these were little trash cans with a thick liner ( bag) and a heater at the base. one would dump the spent fixer into "it" and evaporate the liquid out of the fixer to get the sludge. it might take a while the way you want to do it, but you'll get the same results by the end of a hot summer

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used to work for a company that sold a system that did exactly that the idea is to evaporate the water out of the chems and make a solid waste out of it and I have been told that is easier to dispose of

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess I could boil the stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess I could boil the stuff
    That is in the end they are doing in Holland in ATV Rotterdam. It is put in a furnace with catalysers and it is gone.

All chemical waste of non-profis is accepted in the KCA (small chemical disposal) for free in the Netherlands so there is no problem at all to get rid of it.

As already told: Developer depends on the toxid class of it, Stop you can dump, Fix is always for the KCA unit, same for toners (selenium a.s.o.).

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A friend of mine monitors sewers for a living and knows a thing or two about what should and shouldn't go down them. I once asked him about putting fix down the sewer.

His response was that from a home darkroom it wasn't going to be a problem. He said that silver would get precipitated out at the treatment plant and the quantities were so small compared to many other chemicals in sewers it really wasn't worth worrying about.

Larger quantities are a different matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for digging up a slightly aged thread... Just my 2p.

I contacted Scottish Water (those who take care of our water supply here) a while back with this very question. I was directed to their industrial pollutants people, and a nice lady there told me that dev and stop were nothing to worry about. She then looked up my address in her database to check where our waste got processed, and discovered it was a huge plant across town. On the basis of that she told me that the quantities of fix I had to dispose of wouldn't make any difference at all.

She instructed me to put everything down the 'dirty' waste pipe as she called it - which meant kitchen sink or toilet - and make sure it was plenty diluted, but otherwise not to worry.

All this was on the undertstanding that I was a home amateur producing relatively low volumes of waste (all in, a couple of litres a month), and it was a different story for a high-output lab. She sent me a copy of their guidelines for labs, for my information.

To be honest, she seemed quite pleased, if rather taken aback, that I was concerned enough to contact them for guidance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Considering the millions and millions gallons of wast water that is processed in the metro Phoenix area the quart or two that I dump down the sink is nothing to lose sleep over. On the other hand even a minlab needs to me monitored.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goodyear
    On the basis of that she told me that the quantities of
    fix I had to dispose of wouldn't make any difference at all.

She instructed me to put everything down the ... kitchen
    sink ... and make sure it was plenty diluted, but otherwise
    not to worry.
    Welcome reassurance from across the ocean!

Plenty diluted is the way I use developer and fixer. I don't
    bother with a stop of any sort. One shot usage precludes
    the build up of silver or other deleterious substances. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    One shot usage precludes
    the build up of silver or other deleterious substances. Dan
    You are producing the same amount of silver etc, but distribting it in small and dilute doses, which is fine.

Any silver in fixer will very quickly become silver sulphide in a sewer. Silver sulphide is very insoluble and very unavailable to life forms. Sodium thiosulphate is used in water purification, so maybe it's not so bad.

I'm not so sure, though, about developing agents with benzene rings (hydroquinone, pyrocatechol, pyrogallol).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin