Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,018   Online: 673

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stupid is as stupid does...

Ok. Stupid amateur photography mistake #653...

Yesterday, I was out playing with my son's Canon TL. I had loaded it yesterday with HP5. So far, so good. Used my handheld meter and fired off a few shots...no problem.

Grabed the same camera and my Minolta, today and ran to take a few shots of a local farm. (I should have known better because it was really, REALLY overcast) Set my meter back to 50, because I never use anything but PanF in his Canon. HP5 always goes in the Minolta..."Are you starting to see the picture?"

Yep. Metered about 12 frames worth at iso 50 in stead of 400.

Now what? About four or five frames were exposed normally and the balance were, shall be say slightly overexposed??? Now those four or five were exposed in fairly bright circumstances. So, there may be an overage issue with them as well.

The questions are:

Do I expose the rest of the film at 50? And, if so, can I save it in development (pulling, I think)

Or, do I expose the rest at 400 and develop normally and hope for the best on the middle frames?

I am planning to develop in Rodinal.

Any help/suggestions would be most welcome...

(Maybe this should have gon in the "DOH!" thread...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just shoot the rest at 50 and develop. I'll bet they're dense, but I would also bet that they print fine. Normal development and see what happens. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford's datasheet for HP5, exposing at an EI of 50, suggests Perceptol stock @ 20C for 9 minutes - however, good luck finding Perceptol for the next few months until they start making it again! Suggested time is 11mins for EI 200-400, so perhaps pulling your Rodinal dev time by about 15% will help. They don't mention any other developer. If you assume the EI of HP5+ is probably closer to 200 you are only two stops out...

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    Ok. Stupid amateur photography mistake #653...

Yesterday, I was out playing with my son's Canon TL. I had loaded it yesterday with HP5. So far, so good. Used my handheld meter and fired off a few shots...no problem.

Grabed the same camera and my Minolta, today and ran to take a few shots of a local farm. (I should have known better because it was really, REALLY overcast) Set my meter back to 50, because I never use anything but PanF in his Canon. HP5 always goes in the Minolta..."Are you starting to see the picture?"

Yep. Metered about 12 frames worth at iso 50 in stead of 400.

Now what? About four or five frames were exposed normally and the balance were, shall be say slightly overexposed??? Now those four or five were exposed in fairly bright circumstances. So, there may be an overage issue with them as well.

The questions are:

Do I expose the rest of the film at 50? And, if so, can I save it in development (pulling, I think)

Or, do I expose the rest at 400 and develop normally and hope for the best on the middle frames?

I am planning to develop in Rodinal.

Any help/suggestions would be most welcome...

(Maybe this should have gon in the "DOH!" thread...)

No shoot the rest at the 50 ASA the do the opposite of pushing, calculate the time reduction. the differential should be on the the web, then correct for 3 stops under exposed. 50 100 200 400 right

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you use a speed reducing dev like perceptol stock and then pull...but youll get VERY flat negs. Print on condenser if poss at hard grade for seperation. If no joy on perceptol stock, anyone know af any speed reducers available easily?

Shooter
    Large Format
    quote: "then correct for 3 stops under exposed. 50 100 200 400 right"

Nope would be three stops over exposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys!

I've never pushed or pulled film development before, so this may turn out to be somewhat fun.

As soon as I shoot the remaining frames, we'll see where it goes.

Am I wrong? Doesn't Rodinal kick up sharpness a bit more than other developers; thereby keeping them from going as flat as they might???

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    Thanks guys!

I've never pushed or pulled film development before, so this may turn out to be somewhat fun.

As soon as I shoot the remaining frames, we'll see where it goes.

Am I wrong? Doesn't Rodinal kick up sharpness a bit more than other developers; thereby keeping them from going as flat as they might???
    Done confuse edge acuteness with contrast. Keeping them from going flat would be contrast.
    To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, — that is genius.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Just open the camera in a darkroom and take out the 12 frames and put it on a spool and develope it the best way to salvage what you have from what has been suggested. The film is on the take up spool. Pull a little extra film out of the cannister so you don't ruin what you have and have enough to load the balance of the film. Just press the release button and pull the film off the spool and immediately put it into a tank. You can develope it at your leisure. Obviously all this has to be in the dark. I just did this the other day when I wanted to test a few shots on a partial roll with a different developer I had not used before. Did this make any sense?
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I forgot to add that you cut the film with a scissor while it is in the camera.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin