Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,800   Online: 1121

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hardened = Tanned ?

Helen B. provided some insight into the 'pink' hangover.
    I think she is suggesting that a tanned emulsion may be as
    difficult to wash clean as a hardened emulsion. Are tanned
    and hardened gelatins, in effect, the same thing? Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tanning is proportional to the negative density. If you look at a negative at an angle you will see a 'puckered' effect along the edges of high contrast. This is tanning.

There are two ways that a film is hardened.
    1)Most modern films have a protective coating on the negative to keep it from getting scratched. Some of the old school eastern european/chinese films that are available today don't have a protective layer.

2)Another way a negative can be hardened is with a hardening fixer. This has some sort of alumninum salt that binds to the gelatine.

I think that tanning may effect washing but not in the same way that a hardening fixer would.

Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Helen B. provided some insight into the 'pink' hangover.
    I think she is suggesting that a tanned emulsion may be as
    difficult to wash clean as a hardened emulsion. Are tanned
    and hardened gelatins, in effect, the same thing? Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    Tanning is proportional to the negative density. If you look at a negative at an angle you will see a 'puckered' effect along the edges of high contrast. This is tanning.
    I thought tanning referred to a treatment of to an animal product, which in this case is the gelatin.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin